Chapter 2

I wish I could say that saying goodbye to my friends was hard, but it wasn't. That tears welled in my eyes (but of course, I was too manly to let them show) when I said my final farewells, but they didn't. You see, I don't have too many friends. And by "too many", I mean none.

"You're not actually taking this, are you?" my butler, Terry, awaked me out of my thoughts, holding up a light blue shirt with a monkey chasing a banana on it. He was packing up my stuff for me as I sat on my bed and went through all my old XBOX games, making a pile for the ones Terry could keep. He was my favourite butler we had, really young and cool, but the type of guy that would have definitely beat me up in high school if we were in the same generation.

"Well...I was going to," I said quietly, blushing.

"Dude, we need to have a talk," Terry sighed, pulling out a chair from the desk nearby and plopping down on it. "I know you're not the coolest kid at school, and I'm sure you want to change that," he paused, "am I right?"

I nodded, my glasses sliding down the bridge of my nose.

"Well, now you CAN! This is a whole new school, a whole new town, a whole new STATE. A new you, I can see it. I've got the connections, we can completely change you, just like those Transformer action figures I see you playing with still," he said.

Shit, I've got to be quieter about stuff like that.

"So are you in, Mason?"

My mind was running a mile a minute. Giving up who I am completely? Was I really okay with that?

"Let's do it," I say firmly. "What have we got to lose?"

- - - - -

I glance in the reflective glass window at the airport as my parents and I are waiting to boarding our plane a week after the confrontative conversation with Terry. I looked good. Really good.

My previous shaggy brown hair was cut and styled into a short cut with a spiked front. My hazel eyes were no longer hidden behind thick glasses with contacts, and my skin clarity had drastically improved thanks to strong medication from the dermatologist. I traded my usually lame clothes for a completely new wardrobe, and I wore dark skinny jeans with a white American Apparel V-neck and black leather jacket. Who knew that THIS guy was hidden beneath loser Mason?

"Boarding first class spots for flight 27 to Los Angeles," a bored sounding voice droned over the speaker.

"Come on, sveetie," my mom said, gesturing her hands in a motion that implied "let's go".

I grabbed my black backpack and followed my parents towards the plane, noticing two girls looking at me and whispering and giggling. My heart sunk. I guess dorky Mason was still obvious to the public. Oh well, I'm used to people laughing at me, nothing new.

Right before I reached my parents' spot in the line, I felt a light tap on my right shoulder. I spun around and saw one of the girls standing there smiling.

"Me and my friend were just saying how cute you were, and I decided I couldn't let you leave without my number," the girl said blushing, handing me a piece of paper with a phone number scribbled on it in purple ink. "I'm Cindy, by the way."

Wow, a girl talking to me. And I don't even feel like pissing myself.

"Mason," I introduced my self with a smile and nod. "Thanks for the number...you have very erm...pretty....ears."

Pretty EARS? Well clearly awkward Mason hasn't completely left.

Cindy looked momentarily confused but then went on her tip toes and whispered in my ear, "Call me, seriously." She winked and walked back off to her friend.

I could get used to this.

-------------------------

Do you guys like this? I hope so! Feedback would be so fantastic!