"They're gathering at the Mona Passage, in Aguada," Wan Claup said.

"And I've heard they've shipped a whole litter of those new high officers," said Harry. "What's the name?"

"Master and commander," said Wan Claup.

"That," said Harry. "Just out of the Cadiz Academy."

"Aye, a bunch of proud boys," Laventry said. "All of them craving glory. All of them blind fools. Too much boating in the Mediterranean, but no idea whatsoever about our sea and our wars."

"Are they letting go of all the current officers?" asked Charron.

The other three glanced at him, refusing to waste their breath in answering.

"New blood learns fast," said Wan Claup, thoughtful. "They'll fight to climb up the ranks."

"Unless they die trying. It wasn't only bad luck if the Armada did so poorly over the last ten years," said Harry. "If the Spaniards don't learn some new tricks, we'll keep beating them, like we've done ever since the Ghost showed us their weaknesses."

Silence filled the room for a moment, like every time someone mentioned their late captain and friend, dead seven years ago on that tragic night in Campeche.

Later, Wan Claup walked them himself to the backdoor, where the stable boy waited with their horses. He waved goodbye at them and watched them ride away, no doubt to join Morris and the others at some tavern near the port. He paused halfway between the stables and the backdoor. It was a humid late-summer night. The sea breeze felt like a caress, soothing the worries stirred by their conversation. He smiled, gazing up at the stars.

A muffled sound from the stables caught his attention. He turned that way. No, the low, repeated shuffle didn't come from there, but from the barn right next to the stables. His hand reached his sash out of instinct, but he wasn't carrying even a dagger.

He tiptoed closer. The door was ajar, but there was nothing alarming about that. He stopped to listen again. There. Grunting and panting? He snorted, annoyed. Sure as hell the cook was greeting one of her usual late visitors.

But he spotted something dark in the scarce moonlight coming into the barn. Something resting on the worktable near the door. That was the sword Marina had given Morris, still in its fine sheath, wrapped in the boy's vest.

Wan Claup set his jaw, growing angry. Morris had his own place to meet with as many women as he wanted, whenever he wanted. And he did it at his captain's home? Wan Claup yanked the door wide open, making it squeal on its hinges, and strode in noisily.

He spotted the veiled glow of a lantern at the other side of the barn, past the hay bundles. It cast two shadows on the wall that hurried to hide behind the bundles.

"Come out, Morris! I know you're there!" Wan Claup commanded, in that voice that would put his seasoned crew to shiver. "You too, Colette!"

The young man's fair head showed as he stood up to come out of his hiding, still sweating and panting. Wan Claup frowned when the cook didn't show as well.

"Colette! Come out, I'm telling you!"

The other shadow remained crouched a moment longer, then it stood up slowly. Wan Claup's heart skipped a beat when he saw Marina's raven hair showing over the bundles. He choked on her name. Morris and Marina! How come? His niece was but a child! And those two had grown up together like siblings! Blood pumped fast, and his anger was such that he felt sick for a moment. He would kill the bastard who had dared to disgrace his little pearl! He'd chop his nuts off and hang them from the Sovereign's mainmast! He stalked back toward the door. The new sword whistled out of its sheath.

"S-sir?" Morris mumbled when he saw Wan Claup coming at him, wielding the sword over his head. "Wait, sir, please! I can explain!"

"Like hell! You'll explain after I geld you, you son of a bitch!"

"Uncle! Stop!"

Marina flashed out from behind the bundles to stand before Morris and shield him. Wan Claup pushed her out of the way, his face a dreadful mask of fury. To his surprise, Marina clutched at his hand and dragged him to the side with her.

"Wait, for Christ's sake! It's not what you think!" she cried.

Wan Claup looked down at her for the first time and noticed two things: the child was fully dressed. In boy's clothes! He halted, still holding the sword over his head, panting in an effort to get a grip on himself.

"What does this mean?" he thundered. "What are you two doing here, hiding at midnight?"

Morris breathed heavily, as if air were too thin. Marina still grabbed her uncle's arm with all her strength.

"I'm sorry! It's my fault!" she said. "Morris did nothing wrong! He was only trying to help me!"

Wan Claup's glare could have started a fire in an ocean trench.

Marina didn't dare to face him, but she tugged at his arm. "Come, let me show you."

He allowed her to take him past the pile of bundles. On the way, he shot another furious glower at Morris, who stepped back in fear. Wan Claup turned to Marina when she let go of his arm to kick away the hay on the floor. His eyes widened when he saw two wooden swords.

"I asked him—No, I begged Morris to teach me to use them," said the girl, her eyes still low but speaking in a firm tone.

She tried to say something more but Morris signaled her to keep quiet. He breathed deep and took the step he'd taken backwards, mustering his courage to speak.

"The little pearl wanted to learn fencing and tried to do so with some kids she knows from church, sir. But the kids took advantage of her—" He threw up his hands at Wan Claup's scowl. "No, Cap'n, not like that. The snots challenged her to fight them one by one, but they've been around blades since they were toddlers, and our Marina was no match for them. They left her covered in bruises, sir, mocking the little lady trying to play the pirate. That's why she wanted to learn to defend herself, so nobody can do something like that to her ever again."

Wan Claup didn't interrupt him, his stormy scowl not waning. He turned to Marina, who nodded, lowering her head, and then back to Morris.

The young man grimaced with a slight shrug. "I'm so sorry, Cap'n, but I couldn't say no. I'd like to beat those snots myself, but the pearl refuses to tell me who they are."

Wan Claup managed to keep from snorting like an angry bull and nodded to the door behind him. Morris scampered out and away. Marina leaned to pick the lantern up, her eyes still on her boots. Wan Claup signaled her to walk out of the barn first and followed her to the backdoor without a word.

Before walking into the house, Marina paused and dared to meet her uncle's eyes.

"We'll talk in the morning," he said, anticipating her.

She looked down again and nodded. Wan Claup let her head to her room alone. He'd had a glimpse of the tears in his niece's black eyes, and he knew that if they said another word, her crying would soften him. His head would be clearer in the morning, so she wouldn't win him over so easily.