Chapter 24: Tension

My eyelids feel so heavy... Palladium's voice seems so far away...

"...when you mix... flower essence..."

I need to stay awake. I can't let him notice how tired I am. I try to rub the sleepiness out of my eyes and focus on the ingredients in front of me. Following Palladium's instructions as best I can.

I let out a sigh of relief when the class was finally over. I did doze off for the first half, but I think Palladium didn't notice.

"Onyx, can I talk to you for a minute?"

Or so I thought...

I turn towards professor Palladium, not daring to look at him in the eyes. He waits until everyone else is gone before he starts talking.

"Care to explain why you were sleeping in class earlier?"

"Um... well... I just didn't get much sleep last night..."

Because I've been having way too many things on my mind...

"Even then, this is still a class. You shouldn't allow yourself to doze off like that. It's not because we're close that I will let everything slide."

"I never said you should..."

Why is he getting so worked up. I'm not the only one who dozes off sometimes. He sighs, visibly annoyed. Why...? There's something else on his mind, I'm sure.

"Is everything okay, Palladium?"

"Professor Palladium."

He says with a firm voice.

"Sorry... Professor Palladium."

"I just feel like maybe you're not feeling the gravity of the situation."

I feel his gaze piercing through me.

"I'm sorry about falling asleep..."

"Not that."

I take a step back, feeling a bit uncomfortable with his tone.

"I'm talking about us. I feel like you're taking this way too lightly. What if someone finds out? That'll be it for us."

I knew it... He's really stressed out about our relationship.

"Anyway, we shouldn't stay here alone together for too long."

He says as he packs his things. I feel a ball of anxiety in my throat. Without saying anything, I leave the classroom and head to my dorm. When I get there, I find the girls all sitting in a circle around the table, staring at something on the table.

"An envelope?"

I ask them.

"Ah, Onyx! Bloom picked up this envelope that Professor Wizgiz dropped."

Stella answers me.

"It seems like it's the answer sheet to tomorrow's pop quiz."

Musa adds.

"We shouldn't even think about opening this."

Tecna says firmly.

"Tecna's right. Cheating is definitely out of the question."

Flora says.

"But how would he know?"

Stella whines.

"I don't know Stella... It's risky."

Bloom answers her.

"Let me see."

I say as I reach out to the envelope and pick it up. After a few seconds of looking at it, I put it back on the table.

"I sense magic in that envelope. Professor Wizgiz probably cast a spell on it to know if it was opened or not."

I tell them.

"Well, that settles it then. We can't open it."

Bloom says. Stella lets out an annoyed sigh.

"I guess I'll have to study, then..."

After studying a bit with everyone, I go to my room and crash on my bed. Before I even have time for my mind to wander, I fall into a deep dreamless sleep.

The next day in Professor Wizgiz, we find out that the pop quiz was actually whether or not we'd be tempted to open the envelope. All those who opened it, failed. Those who resisted, passed.

Ever since our incident yesterday, Palladium and I haven't talked. I'm starting to feel a bit depressed about all of this. I'm a bit scared that maybe he doesn't like me anymore because of how complicated it all is. I need some fresh air. I think I'll go to downtown Magix to clear my head a bit.

Instinctively, I find myself going towards the cafe that I used to always go to. Before getting there, though. I stop myself. That guy might be there again. I'm not in the mood to have things get more complicated. I turn around and start walking away.

"Hey, it's you again."

Oh no... I recognize that voice. I turn around and give him an awkward smile. He's still alarmingly good looking.

"You haven't been coming to the cafe anymore, so I thought I'd never see you again."

He says with gentle smile. His grey eyes seem to betray that smile, though. They look ice cold...

"I've been busy lately..."

"Do you want to have a cup of coffee together?"

"I don't really have much time..."

What does he want from me?

"Come on, it won't take long. I just want to get to know you better."

Why is he so persistent?

"I'm really sorry, I really need to go."

As I turn around and start walking around, I feel him holding my wrist and pulling me towards him. He then put his other hand around my waist, pulling me closer.

"W-W-What are you doing?"

I can't control my face from heating up. Being so close to such a good looking man is making me feel weird.

"I'm sorry... I just can't resist you anymore. I haven't stopped thinking about you ever since last time we talked."

I wriggle out of his grip, which wasn't that forceful, and step away.

"Stop kidding around... I need to go."

I walk away as fast as I can. This time, he doesn't stop me.

What was that all about? What's his deal? How can he just do these things out of nowhere? Couldn't stop thinking about me? What a joke... I'm not an idiot. He has an ulterior motive, I'm sure. Besides, even if he was being genuine, I only have feelings for Palladium...

Thinking about Palladium made me feel that lump of anxiety again. I swallow my saliva, trying to get rid of that lump. Of course, it doesn't work.

I get back to Alfea just as the sun is starting to set. Before I step in, I hear my phone ring. I look at who was calling and feel my heart jump a bit. Palladium! I quickly answer.

"Hello?"

"Onyx... I'm sorry about yesterday. I don't know what took me."

I smile to myself.

"It's okay, I figured you were a bit stressed."

"Can you come to my office?"

I feel the blood rush to my cheeks. He said it in such a seductive tone that I couldn't help myself from blushing.

"I'll be there..."