Savannah's Story -1 : Meeting Harriet

Savannah sighed as she once again pricked her finger on another cotton seed. She huffed, wiping the blood on her tattered, patch covered, dirty skirt. She quickly returned back to work, of course. She didn’t want to get punished again. She threw the cotton seeds in a basket and the cotton in another before picking another out of the moist soil. She looked at the ground sadly, her owners words ringing through her ears.

Worthless…

Junk…

Nothing but property..

A few tears escaped her deep brown eyes. She knew what he said was true. Dark skin doesn’t belong around where she’s at. She was property. A pet. A slave. She felt a warm hand on her shoulder and flinched. She slowly looked up, expecting to see her owner’s cold glare, but sighed in relief when it was just her mother.

“We all goin’ ‘nside the cabin ‘ta bed, Vanna…” her mother’s soft and depressed voice sounded.

“But I got ‘ta finish this cotton b’for sir comes outside and beat me ‘til I’m blue.” Savannah responded, wiping the sweat that collected on her dark colored forehead. Her mother looked at the plantation house timidly.

“O’lright.. Don’t be too long, ‘ya hear? You could be bait for that man. He’d do more than beat ‘ya.” she gave in, not wanting to see her daughter beat once more. Savannah sighed, looking up at her mother.

“O’lright, I’ll try and be in b’for ten.” Savannah swore, offering her mother a small smile. Her mother sighed, kissing her daughter on the forehead before heading of into the small slave quarters. Savannah wouldn’t admit it, but she was afraid. Completely and utterly afraid.

Savannah once again sighed, for the umphteenth time, before taking the two buckets to the storage shed. She jumped out of her skin when she saw an African American lady - most likely a slave - looking back at her. She lifted her throbbing hands and wiped her wide eyes. This lady didn’t look familiar, therefore she’s not from this plantation.

“No, I knew I was a bit crazy, but seein’ people? Now that ain’t normal..” Savannah whispered.

“Hush, child.” the lady’s rough voice spoke. “You ain’t seein’ nothin’. I’m here. I’m real. I’m in front of ya’.”

“Who are ya’?” Savannah examined the woman, “You ‘on look like ya’ from this here plantation.” she accused.

“I’m Harriet.” the woman stated. “Harriet Tubman.” Savannah’s eyes widened. “The runaway slave?” Savannah asked, “The one that helps slaves be free?” Savannah started bouncing on the balls of her bare and dirty feet. Harriet threw her gun over her broad shoulder. “I came ‘ta get you and ‘ya mama out this dumb. What cabin she located in?” Harriet stated then asked. Savannah excitedly pointed to the first small cabin. “Right ‘ova there.” she whispered. Harriet nodded before professionally sneaking her way over to the cabin with the the shadows. Savannah watched in awe as she stealthily weaved through buckets and utensils getting to the slightly ajar cabin door.

A few minutes later, Harriet came barrelling out of the cabin with her mother in hand. Savannah’s eyes widened in surprise with how quick she worked.

“Les’ go.Now!” Harriet barked as the plantation house’s lights flicked on. Of course, they weren’t stupid, they ran like their lives depended on it.Because they did.