"Yes, I know, I will give a damn about my car's pollution when they stop kidnapping children." This was a big deal to G-ma, you could tell because she used the word damn.

Brooklyn Johnson was Addi's best friend and also went by the name Brook. Anyone who called her Brooklyn, that wasn't an adult, would catch hell. She held a fiery personality to match her stellar looks. She was on track to be a private investigator. Brook trusted no one, except Addi and sometimes Ezra. Ezra was tricky because he often lied, but she still trusted him. When she wanted answers she would do whatever she needed to find them.

Brook lacked what people call a filter. Once it was in her head, it came out of her mouth and she didn't care how you or anyone else felt about it. Brook in many ways was the opposite of Addi, but she kept a low profile for Addi's sake. In a way the two of them balanced each other out.

When Addi got out of the car Brook was waiting for her at the curb. Brook refused to walk to class without her.

"What no backpack?" Brook stared.

Addi shook her head. "Real funny Brooklyn."

"You're lucky I love you, you bitch because you know I hate that name."

"Just like you know I will not walk through this school with a rolling book bag. I don't know what she was thinking."

The school seemed empty, which meant class started already. Addi was not the most social person, it wasn't that she had anxieties, but that she just didn't like people. She could instantly tell when people were not being sincere and in junior high and high school, there were a lot of people that weren't. Brook didn't mind speaking to people but she couldn't stand liars and well, everyone lies, this is where the two complimented each other in their friendship.

"Me either, I like your outfit." Brook winked.

Although Addi didn't match at all Brook liked her insane taste because she would never have the guts to wear clothes that didn't perfectly go together.

"Thanks," Addi smiled, "Where's Ezra?"

"He is in class. Something about the coach bitching about lateness in the morning."

Ezra played baseball; he was one of the best in the school so the coach cared about little thing he did. While Ezra listened and got good grades, it was obvious to Addi and Brook that he didn't really care about playing baseball. He hardly went to practices and when he played both Addi and Brook could see the boredom in face. This was something no one else noticed because Ezra didn't spend time with anyone else. Brook noticed how Ezra pushed away anyone who tried to be his friend, except them. At first it bothered her because she knew there was something wrong with him, but slowly she accepted it because she took a little bit of pride in knowing the best looking guy in school only wanted to be friends with her and her best friend. The other part of her accepting this was the fact that he lived completely alone and didn't seem to have a person in the world. While Ezra claimed to have family up north, Brook didn't believe it and Addi wasn't too sure either. As much as Brook questioned everything, she didn't question that because she felt bad, especially since Addi was adopted, Brook figured it best not bother him about it.

Walking into class Addi noticed that the stack of late passes the teacher collected was pretty high, which meant that they have evaded detention for another week.

Ezra Miller was the guy almost every girl wished they could have, or at least be friends with, but he didn't want to be friends. No one in school could out why he picked the two girls in school only hung out with each other to be best friends with. Since it has been over a year, everyone was used to it now.