Crystal Venom: Part 1

"I loved the smell of the mountain juniberries in the early morning breeze." Princess Allura said to King Alfor, or, more accurately, a holographic projection of him.

"As did I, Allura." King Alfor responded

"Remember the Summer Berry Festival? People would come from all over Altea for the harvest."

"I remember how the berry juice stained your favorite dress. You were so upset." Alfor recalled.

Allura laughed. "It took forever for Mother to calm me." The smile left her face. "I miss Altea so much. I miss you, Father. I wish it didn't have to be this way."

"I know, Allura, but as leaders, we have do to what is right for our people. Even if it means great sacrifice."

"I know, Father. That's what you always say."

"Princess! There you are. What are you doing up and about? You should be resting!" Coran said, having entered the holographic environment.

"Oh, Coran, can't I stay?" Allura asked.

"The Balmera rejuvenation ceremony took a lot out of you. Come along. To your room." Coran said.

"Get your rest, darling. I will be here for you when you're well." King Alfor told Allura.

"I love you, Father. See you soon."

<><><><><>

Pidge was on his computer, as usual. This time, he was trying to decode the technology in the Galra power crystal. He was having trouble creating a working Galra decoder. He felt like he was on the verge of a breakthrough in his algorithm, and then it happened.

"Pidge, please come down to the detainment room." Coran said over the PA system.

Pidge groaned, but began his journey down to the containment room. When he arrived, Coran had almost finished preparing General Sendak's memory extraction.

"OK, Sendak's almost all hooked up, but I must warn you that this technology was used to keep Altean memories alive, not to interrogate prisoners." Coran cautioned Shiro.

"Coran, we understand that this isn't what the technology was meant for, but if we can extract Sendak's memories, we may gain valuable intelligence on Zarkon's troop locations." Shiro said back.

"Yeah, and then we could be like 'knock-knock', 'who's there?', 'the avenging fury of Voltron, son!'" Lance interjected, being Lance as usual.

"Fascinating. So, how exactly does this work?" Pidge asked Coran.

"As the memories are extracted, they're written bit by bit on individual molecules of the micro-storage strands." Coran answered. Pidge was just confused further by this answer, and decided against asking for clarification

"When I go, I want all the stuff in my brain stored in a giant ship." Lance said, probably daydreaming.

"The amount of information stored in your brain could be stored in a paper airplane." Keith said snarkily.

"Oh yeah? Well, the amount of information you have, Keith could be -"

"Yeah?" Keith interjected.

"Uh, it's less than what I have!" Lance responded, with the tone of a person having just won a very pointless fight.

"Oh, good one, Lance!" Hunk congratulated. Keith wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic or serious.

"This is how you incorporated King Alfor's memories into the Castle of Lions?" Pidge asked out of curiosity.

"Precisely, but it's never been attempted on an unwilling participant." Coran answered. Just then, he turned on the machine, causing all sorts of mechanical whirs to ring out across the room.