Chapter 1 ~ Close Call

CHAPTER 1

I am going to do this. There’s no stopping me now. I’m going to go and jum---

“Hey, what are you doing?” I heard a voice from behind. I lean back and see a tall, black-haired guy staring directly at me. He is wearing a checkered polo shirt and denim jeans. I can see that he looks worried about me. I was at the near edge of the roof of the compound by this moment.

“Uh...” I’m just not in the mood for a conversation right now, okay? “Well, nothing.”

“Then why on earth are you up here, and in the edge of the roof?” He asked with a stern look in his face. Then I see two other guys walking to our direction. What the hell is their problem?

“Miggy, who’s this kid?” The guy to his left side asked him. Then I made the mistake of getting a little closer to them. “Oooh, is this love?”  The same guy asked.

“What‘s your problem with---” then the guy in the middle, presumably Miggy, interrupted me. “Oh stop, you do know that you’re going to die when you jump off that edge?” So what? You do not know me, overly concerned stranger. “Can’t you just leave me alone?” Please... Please...

“I can’t. I am assigned to monitor the safety of everyone in this compound, even though I’m only 17.” He said calmly. I just go and assume he is part of that safety club thingy that they announced job openings for back then.

“I just want to be alone, okay? You don’t know me.” I just blurted that out, with a loud tone that might come off as shouting.  “Nah man! We should convince her out of this. She might not be that attractive, but she is kind of smart.” The guy on his right side said in an inviting manner.

“Fine. If you want me to live, then okay, I’ll go back to my unit.” I said in a rather distressed tone, while quickly walking to the stairs leading to the tenth floor of the compound.

By the way, I have yet to introduce myself. I am Kristen Monteverde; I am also 17, like that guy that randomly got near me. And what they do not know about me is that I’m lonely and not contented with just one close friend.

Then I quickly ran to the elevator to get to the third floor, which is where I live. I live with my mom and my two older sisters. I love cooking and baking pastries for my family, because my mom has a job at the local eatery as a cook, so I get to learn from her.

As I reach for my keys in my bag, I heard a thump on the wall of the unit at the front of ours. I have the urge to knock on their door, but I’d rather leave myself out of whatever is going on, so I just unlock our door and went straight to my room to drop off my bag. The bag that I use for randomly going outside is colored silky silver with fake diamond accents that make the bag look pretty.

“Kris, time to cook dinner.” I heard my older sister Stacey’s voice behind me as she walked down the front of my room. Oh yeah, Time to cook some delicious mac and cheese for everyone!

I walked to the kitchen and I grabbed all the utensils and ingredients I needed for today’s recipe that includes small pieces of bacon and a dessert of apple pie. I can tell that Stacey is excited for today by the fact that the whole time, she was watching me cook.

And the next thing I know is me, Stacey and my other sister, Vejane is now eating some delicious mac and cheese.

“As delicious as always!” Vejane murmured with a full mouth. “Haha, thanks!” I said with a teethy grin in my face.

“Enjoy your college years, Kristen!” Both of them said in unison. “Yes I will!” I said, with a matching salute.

I woke up the next morning excitedly and went to school.

I then saw a familiar face next to me as I sat down in my classroom.

“Hi.” He finally started a conversation with me. “Are you Miggy?” I asked him.

“Yes, so you were THAT girl.” He said with a grin.