f o r t y - n i n e

Start from the beginning

Leaving her room, she made her way downstairs to the kitchen for breakfast, just as she usually did. Ramona greeted her cheerfully as she entered.

"Good morning, Meredith!" she said, bustling over to the counter with breakfast for both of them. The older woman studied the younger carefully before saying, "You seem awfully cheerful this morning."

Meredith felt herself blushing as she sat down on one of the stools.

"Well, are you going to tell me why or not? I've got to go off to prepare the king's breakfast. If you're not busy..." Ramona smiled, and Meredith wondered if she couldn't detect a bit of a ulterior motive behind the cook's question.

"I'd love to take Antony his breakfast," she said, standing and watching as Ramona, with a seemingly satisfied smirk, made her way over to one of the counters where she put the contents of breakfast onto a tray and handed it over.

Meredith studied the tray and frowned. "Er...Ramona...Are you sure that Antony will eat all of this? It seems quite a lot..."

Ramona smiled and gave Meredith a gentle shove towards the door. "I'm sure you can find something to do with the extra."

Meredith walked quickly with the tray until she reached the east wing, and then her steps slowed.

There is that part of a person that, once they experience something that they believe is more than they deserve or more than they could possible hope for, fears that what they have might have only been a dream or a product of their imagination.

As unrealistic as it was, these were Meredith's worries as she finally came to be outside the door to Antony's study.

She took a deep breath and knocked.

The door opened and she stood face to face with Antony.

"Meredith!" he said, smiling, his tired expression turning into one of happiness. "To what do I owe this visit?"

She smiled back at him. "Ramona wanted to make sure that you have breakfast. She's sent up enough to feed a small army."

Antony took the tray from her and held the door open more widely. "In that case, would you give me the pleasure of sharing it with me?"

"I'd like nothing better," she said, offering him a shy smile, all teasing gone.

He set the tray down on his desk, clearing away a few stacks of papers to make room, and then pulled a chair from the corner of the study for her to sit in.

She sat down and reached to serve the food. Antony shook his head and took her hand gently, placing it back in her lap gently.

"I'll get it for you," he said, taking the extra plate that Meredith had not before noticed and smiling at her.

Ramona must have planned for this, thought Meredith, chuckling inwardly. Obviously she knows something. I have a feeling that she's the one who told Antony about the Lady Catherine hitting me.

By now, Antony had finished serving her and, after serving himself, he sat down in his chair. She glanced at the papers he had set aside, one of which appeared to be a map.

"What are you working on?" she questioned him, hoping to simply make polite conversation. She frowned as she noticed that tired expression from before returning to his face.

He met her gaze, and she realized that he seemed to be studying her. Finally, he sighed and pulled out the parchment map, spreading it on the table before her.

"I might keep this sort of thing from my aunt, and perhaps even Isabella, but, as you've already been involved simply by the capture of your brother, I suppose it's alright for you to know."