VII

VII

            “K bye loverfish.” I simplify the goodbye with a single name for both of them. Before shutting the door, I could still see the Lernaean Sentinels guarding the ground zero of what was once Cherisio’s home.

            What’s ground zero again? I totally forgot. Then I shut the door, and my astonishment could breathe again!

What the hell was going on with that whole tournament thing? Jo suggested we act all casual like nothing ever happened until the coast was clear. I’m safe inside our house—well kind of a townhouse.

            I kinda wanna talk to someone about it. But my mom simply won’t approve, and… Amalphoeba!

I run upstairs, despite the fact that she stormed off amidst the brutality. She’ll be alright. And I gotta talk to someone about it.

I knock, “What.” She immediately responds after a few rapid taps. I admit I kinda was a little too excited about the whole thing, people really did die just now. But that surprise finale thing was crazy.

A, you missed it!” I barge in simulating the event with flailing arms—I must’ve looked like I was 100 years old, and that’s the borderline between child and teenager for us. “There was a giant monster made out of a cloud of fish, and this weird dark matter spiraling around it! And then, the craziest part…”

“Lamutine I don’t care.” Her arms were crossed, lying against her door. I was sitting on her bed. “How could you be so enthused about that massacre?” She was using that mother’s tone, but she was kinda really mad too. Her folded arms kinda made it obvious… How many times have I said kinda??

“It was really intense though. But that’s not even all! There was a-”

“Lamuntine that is shameful. It’s borderline blasphemous for them to be executing each other publicly like that!” She paced a little with tight arms. Her blouse made her shoulders puffy, and sheer, with short sleeves. “I never thought I’d be so traumatized.” She’s such a drama queen sometimes. “So much agony in that country I’m sure of it. Like couldn’t they have had families? People cheering as they slaughtered each other?” At least she’s not crying, just sounded kind-HEARTBROKEN… Sounded heartbroken. I need to stop saying that word… “And you too Lamuntine? I’m just ashamed of you. Someone needs to fight this corruption.

“And that’s what I was coming to tell you! Gosh.” I express with impatience. She stops. “After the thing was over, and Anchovie—the giant fish warrior monster—eliminated all the contestants, this masked group of vigilantes, or criminals, or rebels. I don’t even know what they were. But they attacked the stadium, and threw these like smoke pellet things all over the place so no one could see! And they wore these cool black suits—I think it was made from jelly plaster—and these neon lights running through them! Oh and a giant slingshot that they slung electric orbs with!”

“What?” She interrupts, flabbergasted. I could catch my breath.

“These people, tried to kill the leader of Kraken country.” I calmly explained. “They had a giant slingshot, and shot electric orbs right in his direction, and almost killed him!”   

“Keep your voice down.” She urges. Creeping closer to me made the conversation a bit more interesting to me and her. She sat at her desk in the rolly-chair. You know you're too mature for your age when you're a teenager sitting in a rolly-chair, and you don't even roll in it once. Why do you even have it, if you can roll in it for fun? But whatever-