Ki looked down at the page she was still on and motioned her left middle finger up towards her best friend.

"Put that down we're in a library..." Acacia reached over the table and grabbed her hand.

"Hasn't stopped you from talking." Ki grumbled.

"You little shit. I'm getting coffee. Do you want one or not?"

"No, I'm good. Already had three today."

"Okay, suit yourself." Acacia said pushing out her chair from the table.

Ki internally sighed a breath of relief as Acacia left, finally meaning she would get a minute of quiet.

She loved Acacia with all of her heart. Sometimes she was more of a sister to her than anyone else could've ever been, but all siblings are annoying as hell, and Acacia definitely had her days.

As she heard Acacia walk away, the front door opened bringing in a gust of air with it.

Ki hesitantly looked up to see which old lady was coming to bring her grandchildren in today, but instead she was met with a tan girl in a blue crop top walking her way in to the library with a look of confusion.

Lyra.

Ki watched intently as Lyra's wavy brown hair bounced a little with each step she took. She had it pulled back loosely into a low ponytail, but most of it was falling out and into her face.

She walked up to the counter and pulled out a paper from her back pocket. She struggled to unfold it, and as she did she bit her lip, turning the paper over.

"What can I do for you?" The nice old man behind the desk said.

Ki had known him since she moved here.

His name was Marvin. He'd been working at this library since the 80's. Ki didn't know what exactly made him stick around, but she didn't really care. He was one of the good people in this small hell hole town.

"Hi! I'm looking for like the space section I guess? I'm doing a report on the space station for my astronomy class, so where would be the best place to find stuff like that?" Lyra said, showing him her list.

"Ah, space is in the nonfiction, down on this floor." Marvin smiled, glancing over to where Ki was sitting. "See that girl with the red jacket, the aisle on her right will have what you need."

Ki felt her cheeks heating up as she realized Marvin was talking about her.

No, no, no, no!

"Oh! Great, thank you." Lyra beamed, picking up her paper from off the counter.

Fuck.

Lyra started walking towards her, and Ki made a split second decision to pretend like she hadn't seen her.

She buried her face in her magazine and leaned over onto her arm.

Ki could hear her coming closer from the way her bag swished against her jeans.

"Hey Ki. What's up?"