Chapter Twenty-Two: Interesting Interactions

"We're supposed to bring guests, so I thought you might like... I mean..." He was keen to make his intentions perfectly clear. "I mean, just as friends, you know. But if you don't want to..."

He was already half-hoping that she didn't want to.

"Oh, no, I'd love to go with you as friends!"

_Half-Blood Prince_

Ginevra was, as expected, promptly outside the Great Hall at ten-thirty. Tom had arrived five minutes before, because Abraxas had warned him that girls liked you to get there before them so that they could make a dramatic entrance, or something of that sort, and also to witness what kind of reception the girl would get. 

He was well aware that she was classed as the late Myrtle Warren's only friend, and as a 'loner', but was determined to see whether her meeting up with him would affect either of their reputations in any way.

"Good morning, Granger," he greeted formally, bowing his head slightly as she approached.

She was wearing a woollen skirt, thick tights, and a warm fluffy jumper, and looked the picture of the resident geek rather than a stylish young woman; however she'd made an effort to tame her unruly hair, and appeared reasonably well-dressed. 

Tom noted that almost all the girls in the Entrance Hall waiting for their dates were staring unabashed at them, and decided to press on, given that the girl had not responded, clearly either shy or unaffected by his attentions and charm.

"Shall we?"

*

She would never tell anyone, obviously, but she had been ridiculously excited at the prospect of going to Hogsmeade with Tom Marvolo Riddle, a.k.a. Lord Voldemort. He was a complex character, and her brain always loved a challenge. Also, he had not, to her knowledge, committed any dastardly evil crimes yet, and so enjoyed treating Tom as an extraordinarily handsome, but normal, young man.

Additionally, Ginevra would never tell anybody that Tom caused her to feel more emotion than any encounter with Ron ever did. Maybe it was being stuck with Ron for six years in the same castle, or perhaps it was because she knew that his bad traits easily outweighed his good ones, but certainly there was something preventing her from reclaiming her past infatuation with her ginger-haired friend.

"Anywhere you'd like to go?" Questioned Tom, gazing around with an emotionless air.

"I have no preference," she replied. "Would you like to choose?"

"I suppose we could get a drink," Tom commented, using the sparse conversational skills he owned.

"The Three Broomsticks, then?" Ginevra suggested, realising with delight that the inn was around in this time as well as her own in the future.

"Sure," Tom agreed quite readily.

*

Their time in the inn wasn't as awkward as Ginevra might have guessed. She and Tom passed an hour easily enough by filling the conversation with varied topics such as Arithmancy, the goblin wars, Slughorn's air-headedness, Parkinson's irritating voice and what they would like to be when they were older, if they could choose.

"You go first," Ginevra told him. He looked edgy.

"I think..." he began haltingly, "that my dream career has always to teach. To pass on wisdom and knowledge, and train children for the inevitable."

"Such as?"

"Going into the wider world." Tom now had a frown on his face. "Defending themselves against people like Grindelwald and D_"

"And who?" She asked curiously, struck by the strange sensation that she knew what name he'd been about to say.

"It doesn't matter," he said quickly. "Anyway, what would you like to do?"

"You didn't tell me what subject you wanted to teach!"

"Isn't it obvious? DADA, of course." He sniffed. "You?"

"I always found teaching a fitting occupation, but I would prefer to enter the Ministry. Stop discrimination, things like that."

Tom gave her a strange look, and she realised that she'd just revealed her plans about ending discrimination to the very man who wanted to see it continue.

"Interesting," was all he said.

"Well, er," she spoke, meaning to change the subject, but Abraxas did it for her.

Tom's friend came hurrying up, panting slightly, but still somehow looking immaculate.

"Tom, they're waiting for you," he stated, stopping by their table.

"Who is?" Questioned Ginevra.

"The Slytherin boys," Abraxas replied, answering for Tom as always. "They always have a drink together when they're in Hogsmeade."

Ginevra found this answer dubious, but let him go regardless.

"Go and have fun, Tom. I'll see you later."

She made to get up, but Abraxas stopped her.

"You don't mind if I stay and have a drink with you, do you?" He asked. "I can never pass up an opportunity to have a Butterbeer."

"Sure, no problem," she replied, relieved that she didn't need to walk back to Hogwarts on her own.

Tom gave Abraxas a look, but Ginevra couldn't decipher it, and turned her attention to Abraxas as Tom walked out of the inn.

*

Half an hour later, Ginevra was bored. Abraxas was clever, and charming, but he wasn't Tom. He had to try too hard, and didn't pull off elegance without appearing overly formal, or brilliance without seeming nerdy. All in all, his redeeming quality was kindness, and not walking out on her.

"Do the boys usually take this long?" She asked the Slytherin, smiling at the thought of Tom drinking with his mates.

Abraxas looked suddenly awkward.

"It can get a bit rowdy. That's why I don't tend to go."

"But they're all your friends, aren't they?" Ginevra said, beginning her interrogation.

"Y-es," Abraxas answered slowly, not sure where this was going.

"Where are they?" She demanded.

"Hogs Head. Just up_"

"_I know where it is. Don't wait up."

And with that she hurried out of the door, and raced up the hill.

*

Tom hadn't really discussed much yet. Half an hour wasn't nearly enough time to pick over the nitty gritty facts and meetings usually took two hours at the least, three if he was angry and feeling sadistic enough to torture someone. His plans weren't nefarious – simply thoughts and ideas about gaining publicity for their cause, and not much else.

The inn was fortunately deserted, and the dodgy barman was at the far end, far enough away for Tom not to have to give him a glare every time he moved an inch. But then, the door opened, and someone he hadn't expected to see, or at least not that soon, emerged.

"Hello, Ginevra. Welcome to the party."

*****

A.N. Thank you for reading this far and PLEASE COMMENT! 

What will Hermione/Ginevra's reaction be to the meeting, and what will Tom say when they're behind closed doors? Give me your thoughts, feelings, emotions, etc.