"As soon as you do your first step in them, you will remember how it works." Penny sounds way more confident then I feel.

"I wouldn't count on that," I mumble and sit down on the wood to get into the shoes. Penny spoke them into the right size again, so they fit perfectly.

"Come on, Baz," Pen says as she got in her shoes, sitting on the edge of the walkway and swinging with her feet. "Be Elsa."

"Be careful what you say, otherwise the ice will break under your feet, completely by accident of course. And believe me, it's colder down there than a witch's wit." Baz, who still hasn't touched his skates, takes his wand back from me and steps to the head of the pier. He raises both his arms and speaks with his full lungs: "Let it go!" From under his feet spread a thousand ice crystals in all directions and dance over the surface where they freeze the waves into a perfectly smooth ice rink. It looks so magickal and beautiful that I fail in tying my left shoe, because I can't take my eyes from that growing ice crystal.

"Wow," I say and try to get up what isn't that easy with skids under your feet. I manage to kind of slide and walk to Baz but I have to hold on to his shoulder so I don't fall right over the edge. "This was awesome!"

"Don't you dare to say anything about Disney princesses," he sneers at me.

"I never would."

"Who is first at the other side of the shore!" Penny shouts and flies past us, already gliding over the frozen surface.

"I still don't see the point," I say while I get onto my knees to swing my feet over the edge of the swimming walkway. "I mean, why Ice Skating? There are plenty of things we could do in London and we slide over some magickal ice rink in some abandoned neighbourhood?"

"Penny's idea. Not mine," Baz says as he helps me to climb onto the ice. I cling to his arm while I try to find balance on my skates.

"Good?" he asks and I nod, so he lets go of me. I tumble a bit, waggling my arms to stay on my feet. I try to drive in a straight line but end up in an uneven circle. Penny rushes to me and catches my hands. Laughing she pulls me with her and within seconds I'm as fast as she is. When she lets go of my hands I nearly fall but, in some way, I manage it to catch my balance again and do my own steps. And I have to admit, it's actually easier than I thought it would be. Maybe I really did it before.

After I drove a few circles and eights with Penny – a bit wobbly but without falling (except once) – I drive back to Baz, who's still standing on the walkway, watching us with his hands buried in his pockets. He almost looks kind of magickal, standing there on the head of the pier. His skin kinda glowing in the dark. Surrounded by the glittering ice.

"You should try it, too," I say as I brake in front of him. "It's actually pretty much fun." The walkway floats a few feet above the water so I have to look up at him. (More up than I normally have to, I mean.)

"It's also fun to watch you, kids," he says, brushing a wisp of hair out of his face. "It's almost like time travelling."

"Simon, look!" Penny screams from behind me and I turn around to watch her pirouette. She does it a second and a third time but then she falls onto her butt. But she gets up laughing right away and tries it again.

"I doubt that she just brought those skates to make you a surprise," Baz says, watching Penny's dance. "That's totally her thing."

"Maybe it's yours, too," I say and pull at his arm. "Just give it a try."

"I'm not –"

"It's my day, remember?" I sneer at him. "We do whatever makes me happy – your words."