Snowday (15)

Simon

"But we got no layer of ice," I say. "I just proofed that, believe me. No ice."

"It exists something called magic," Penny says. "Ever heard of that?"

I decide to say nothing to this.

"As cold as ice!", Penny speaks, holding her hand above the water. A very thin layer of ice spreads over the surface and covers maybe five square metres. It's a sad sight.

"Well, this won't work," Baz says and taps with the tip of his shoe on the ice which makes it break. "How about a Let it go?"

"Hell, no," Penny says and speaks As cold as ice a second time but it doesn't really make it better.

"You mean Let it go like...from Frozen?" I ask frowning. I didn't know that Baz even knows that Disney exists.

"Spells like this don't really work," Penny explains while she tests the ice again. "As soon as the movie is out of the cinemas, the magic of it vanishes."

"Yeah, but that's Frozen," Baz says and pulls out his wand. "The hype about this Elsa crap never ends."

"But I didn't watch the film, so it won't work."

"But I did."

"Wait." Grinning, I turn to Baz. "You saw Frozen? I mean, I saw it too but only because Agatha forced me once to watch it with her."

Baz raises his hands innocently. "I got three little sisters, okay? They played it in a continuous loop for almost two years. I had no choice."

"It's okay to be a fan of Disney and to be a boy," Penny says, teasing. "You don't have to hide your love for Elsa, Basil."

If looks could kill, Penny would be more than dead right now.

"I don't have to speak the river frozen," Baz says and throws his wand up in the air and catches it again. "It's not like I'm into this figure skating stuff – this was your idea. How did you even come up with this shit?"

"I just found our old pairs of skates in Dad's garage," Penny says. "Simon and I did it once when we were kids –"

"We did?"

"Yes. And you loved it."

"I did?"

"How old was he?" Baz asks smirking, catching his wand again.

"Around twelve I think", Penny says. I still don't remember what she's talking about. I never wore ice skates, did I?

Baz laughs. "Just imagine this little, clumsy Snow trying to keep his balance on ice. Wrapped in a way to huge coat and scarf. Isn't that adorable?"

"I bet you watched me and plotted how to make me fall in the most hurtful way," I say and catch his wand as he throws it up again, because it's driving me crazy.

"Nah," Penny responds and rips open her backpack. "I'm pretty sure he watched you with heart eyes, thinking about how beautiful and graceful you were."

"Got me there, Bunce."

"I still don't remember that we ever did ice skating at Watford," I say, fiddling with Baz's wand. It's still a bit damp because of its little dive.

"During our second year, they froze the moat which was a highlight for all students. But a dozen kids broke their legs or noses so the Mage forbit it for the next years," Penelope says as she hands me a pair of brown skates. I swear, I've never seen them before.