Chapter 10

(F/N) stretched her arms out over the table, and shot Hozuki an unamused look.

"Why did you bring me here to suffer with you if you're not going to let me drink?"

Hozuki lowered his cup. "Are you truly asking me to allow you to drink after what happened last month? Do you want to return to the Dung Beetle Department that badly?"

(F/N) puffed out her cheeks. "No, thanks, but with you here as a grim reminder, I don't think I'll—"

Hozuki scowled, and (F/N) turned to see Hakutaku and Momotaro standing outside the restaurant, the divine beast already bleeding from his mouth.

(F/N) grinned, sitting up straight for the first time that night.

"Things are looking up! Waiter, one order of popcorn, please!"

"Don't go ordering popcorn every time we're in the same room!" Hozuki and Hakutaku shouted simultaneously before fixing each other with a glare.

"Where are your manners, Hozuki-kun?" King Enma demanded, walking over to them. "A government official holding a cup of refined rice wine can't just look at someone and have that reaction."

"I apologize..." Hozuki muttered, in a tone of voice that made it evident he was not the least bit sorry.

"Excuse him," Enma said to the two men outside. "He really didn't want to come, so he's in a bad mood. I was hoping if (F/N) came, things would turn out better, so I asked Hozuki-kun to invite—"

"We get the point, old man," (F/N) groaned, "and wait! Hozuki-kun was extending an invitation from you? His exact words were 'come suffer with me.'"

"Well...I thought it might turn out that way, but you wouldn't have accepted if Iasked you."

(F/N) shrugged, and the king turned to Hakutaku and Momotaro. "Anyway, come sit with us."

The two hesitated before realizing they couldn't deny the invitation, and making their way inside.

(F/N) sighed, and leaned across the table to whisper in Hozuki's ear.

"If that Enma starts yammering on about his grandchildren again—can I have some sake then?"

Hozuki looked her dead in the eyes. "If he starts talking about his grandchildren again, you have permission to run."

"Spicy power!" Hakutaku shouted, holding several packets of disposable chopsticks over his mouth like a fan. "Lame! Come on, pal, next time you visit China, I'll give you a tour of Sichuan!"

(F/N) munched on her popcorn with a grin on her face.

I knew this was going to happen.

If they weren't at a nice restaurant, Hozuki would have killed Hakutaku a long time ago, and (F/N) found herself chuckling more at his reactions than anything Hakutaku was saying.

"Ah, I guess guys like you aren't that uncommon," Hozuki muttered. "Drunkards that look down on people who don't enjoy spicy food, despite gulping down booze that they can't hold. Go to Taptaloha."

(F/N) snickered, and took a drink of her juice.

"Then how come you make fun of the Hell Minions that can't stand Ms. Mustard's special sauce?" she asked. "Isn't that kinda the same thing?"

Hozuki flicked her forehead hard enough to draw blood.

"So only you can torment people?" she guessed, pressing a napkin to her wound. "I understand, sir!"