Chapter 9

(F/N)'s favorite job as Assistant Chief of Staff was probably helping King Enma with trials. Not only was it gratifying to watch the dead get what they deserved, but tormenting the king was good stress relief.

"Can't we take a break?" Enma whined.

"No," (F/N) snapped. "We're extremely busy. We can't afford to take breaks."

"(L/N)-san."

(F/N) turned around, smiling instantly at the sight of Hozuki behind her.

"Ah, Hozuki-san! What's up?"

"I have a meeting I need to attend. Can you please take these documents to the Offices of Shinko for me?" He handed her an armful of scrolls.

"Sure," she replied, glancing at Enma, "but we were just about to start another trial—"

"These need to be delivered by a chief of staff, and the Great King can handle himself for a little while, right?"

He shot a glare at Enma, who flinched and nodded.

(F/N) smiled. "All right. I guess I'll be off then."

She was turning to leave when Hozuki stopped her.

"(L/N)-san."

She flinched. "Uh, yes?"

He fixed her with a stern glare. "I still remember what happened the last time you and Takamura-san were in the same room..."

Enma gasped. "The prank war of the century!"

A cold sweat dribbled down (F/N)'s back.

"It...it wasn't that bad!"

"Just be warned," Hozuki continued. "If you fall into your usual pattern with Takamura-san of trying to see who can pull the bigger prank on the Ten Kings, Takamura-san's punishment may be left up to King Shinko, but you will become a three-time dung returnee!"

"Y-Yes, sir!"

When (F/N) entered the Judgment Hall of the Offices of Shinko, the first thing she noticed was a mass of curly blond hair bobbing from behind the otherwise abandoned desk.

"Takamura-kun!" (F/N) cried, running over to him.

"Ah, (F/N)-chan!" he exclaimed, peeking out from behind the desk. "Long time no see!"

"I know! It's been ages!" She handed the scrolls to him. "I'm here on an errand from Hozuki-san!"

"I see that." He set the scrolls on the desk, and scratched the back of his head. "I have to admit, I'm surprised he let you come see me unsupervised. He seems to think I'm a bad influence."

(F/N) rolled her eyes. "I'm pretty sure he sees meas the bad influence, and for the record, he still keeps a close eye on me around alcohol."

"Speaking of that—"

The door hinges creaked behind them, and an unfortunately familiar voice spoke up.

"Ah, (L/N)-san. It's been a long time."

(F/N) froze for a moment, before turning and bowing as deeply as possible.

"Yes, it has. It's good to see you, King Shinko."

She couldn't keep her hands from shaking. The First King had always treated (F/N) well, but she could never forget the first time they'd met, when he'd given her a sentence to Hell.