Chapter 2 / Red

I nod and unwrap myself, using my now free hands to open the car door, as I swing myself onto the soft cushioning of the car. 

The girl wraps her arm around me as if we are best friends now. It feel weird. Contact and hugging has always been an awkward thing for me. But I don't feel much anymore, so the act of warmth doesn't do much to me. Maybe it feels comforting.. the fact that she's not doing this out of sympathy kinda makes me smile..

"Okay, I can tell your fresh meat, and since Veronica.." she kinda pauses for a moment and coughs, laughing a little. "Since Veronica, our bestie decided to leave us.." the boys look upset. But not the upset I've seen the past month. She probably moved.

"Anywayssss.." the tanned boy says. "We need freshhh meat!" He smirks, hand on my thigh.

"Don't mind Dustin.. He's a huge flirt on the outside but secretly gay!" This girl whispers.

"Zara!" Dustin yells. He growls and pulls his hand off my thigh. "Yeah, it's the truth. Playa on the outside, gay weirdo on the inside."

"Why do you have to hide it?" I ask.

"The dude hasn't told his folks, and they are heavily religious!" The boy driving sings back.

"If my parents find out, they'll probably try and do some shit like compel me.. Or some shit.." he signs. Legs now crossed. "So I keep up this facade, bring girlfriends home, but secretly booty call my out of town secret boyfriend," he winks.

"But you can tell a soul 'bout his boyfriend, or else we will skin you!" Zara growls. I flinch a little but they all giggle. These people are either psychotic or have just a very dreadful sense of humour.

"Anyways, I don't think I've introduced myself!" The boy in the front parks the car at this foreign place.. Wow.. I didn't realise we were already at school. It's huge! People running from every direction. People sitting on the grass talking.. This is nothing like my Aussie school..

"Red? You okay?" The boy in front says. I nod quickly, coming back into reality. "I'm guessing you didn't hear my name?" I shake my head in shame. Dammit Courtney, just listen to this guy! He is your only hope at friends and maybe a boyfriend.. I smile slightly.

"Anyways, my name is Cory!" He smiles. His smile is rather comforting. This whole car is.. I don't want to leave, it'll be like stepping out of a sauna into Alaska, in the Winter!

"He's got a girlfriend though!" Zara steps in. "So don't get any ideas!" Zara kisses Cory's cheek and I already know who the girlfriend is.

"Alright, first year of grade 12 here we come!" Dustin yells, flinging out of the car like a sling shot.

"How are you guys so excited for school?" I question, pulling my bag out slowly, while they are already and jumping up and down.

"Last year of school! Crazy ass parties! New kids!" Zara hums, tapping her foot joyfully.

"Only bad thing, Jayco Rawls returns.." Cory growls.

"Don't worry babe.." Zara kisses Cory's cheek. "Jayco and I are done!"

"Heh, he's hawtttt though!" Dustin winks. I giggle.

"Who is this Jayco?" I question.

"Ohh, it's a longggg story!" Zara laughs, unpleased. "Imma warm you know, that boys no good. I'd know.."

All of them look unpleased and obviously don't like the dude. I'd better avoid him, I don't need any drama..

We all walk into school and everyone looks at me as if they are lions and I'm a gazelle. About to pounce and dig up my bones. Luckily I got my herd, they'll protect me. For now..

A joyful looking student skips up to me, holding papers.

"Courtney Wills?" She beams, pushing her platinum blond hair behind her little ears. I nod and she hands me a piece of paper.

"Have a lovely first day of grade..." she looks down at a clipboard, obviously scanning for my name. I don't tell her I'm in Grade 12. I let her find my grade, so she'll feel polite. "First day of grade 12! Last year! Lucky Ducky!" She smiles and skips off to the next person.

This piece of paper has everything I need. Dustin, Zara and Cory got their papers as well and knew what they had to do. Leaving me deserted. Dammit..

I try to look around, maybe if I look lost somebody will help me.. I only get a couple smiles from cocky boys, and a couple notices from others. Until someone sees me and walks up to me.

"Hey there, I'm Bridget. You look a little lost." She smiles. I was starting to think UK was nothing like Australia. At my old school, if you had a confused look anyone and everyone would help you.

"Hey. I'm Courtney.." I smile. "I'm a little.. confused. I'm new, from Australia.."

"Australia? Same!" Bridget smiles. No wonder she's kind and helping! Aussies are, well most of them.. "anyways, let me see your sheet"

She scans it for a minute.

"Okay, so technically, this sheet has your locker number, timetable, school rules, extra curricular list and just your guide to year 12!" Bridget smiles.

She looks at my jumpsuit for a second and pulls off her denim jacket and places it on my shoulders.

"Number one school rules, NO spaghetti straps. Your welcome." She giggles. "Don't worry, I made the same mistake!"

"Thanks.." I blush, her kindness is something I really need.. "when did you arrive?"

"Last semester, so I'm pretty new! Have you found a squad to chill with?"

I nod. I think they are my 'squad'. "Yeah, some people drove me to school!"

"What are their names?" Bridget smiles.

"Zara, Dustin and Cory." I remember, proud to say their names.

Bridget looks a little uncomfortable. "You sure those are the people you got picked up by?"

I get really confused. A little offended. Maybe she thinks I'm not cool enough for them..

"Yeah, one hundred percent.." I say quietly. And as if it was perfect timing, planed by God himself, they walk up behind me. Zara stands beside me, Cory next to Zara and Dustin holds my hips and places his chin on my shoulder. Bridget smiles uncomfortably.

"Hey Bridgey!" Cory smiles, but I can see the tension. The way he says Bridgey is as if it's a foreign nickname.. I start to sweat a little.

"Anywaysss, what have you got Red?" Zara says, facing away from Bridget. I heard Bridget groan and she walks off, waving at me. She joins a group of girls and I can see her tenseness release as she laughs and links arms with a brunette.

I don't bother asking about the tension, it's none of my business and it's probably nothing..

"Ohhh, we have Math C together!" Cory grins. I'm a little surprised to be honest. I've always just been a natural at math. But I didn't think Cory was, I didn't think he was the smart type.

"I know what you're thinking!" Zara giggles. "Cory, although he's a typical football dude, he is actually super smart! But not the nerdy smart."

Damn. I think I've just become friends with the Royals of the school. I'm definitely not Queen B type. I'm shy and awkward..

"Are you guys, like the super popular group?" I giggle, a little nervous. They are probably gonna find out I'm not as cool as them.. Damn.. Maybe that's what happened with Bridget..?

"Haha, you could say that!" Dustin winks. Zara can tell I'm uncomfortable and hugs me.

"Don't worry, we'll fix you up!" She giggles. She tugs at my clothes and looks me up and down.

"Yeah, you'll fit in with us in no time! We just need a makeover!" Dustin smiles.

"You're one of us Red, I can tell!" Cory winks. This all seems fake. I move to the beautiful UK, get popular and date super hot dudes. Except, it's probably gonna flop. And I have my shitty ass past as well. This life is gonna be nothing near perfect.