The Book

Stiel stumbles out of the cave, soaked in sweat, shaking severely. He barely remembered his shield and helmet, something seemed to be following him, and he kept expecting one of those small rocks to hit him in the back. None came, although he heard something shuffling about in the tunnel. Probably that little hideous creature, that abomination from the darkness.

Now he sits with his back to a tree, a short distance from the cave, looking at the dark entrance from afar. The cool evening air feels ever so sweet after the suffocating moist and terrible smells of Spikerock Chasm. He keeps his sword at hand, the shield and helmet lays thrown by his side, and he clutches the book intently. His shoulder aches from the hit, and the left arm feels numb.

For a while, he just watches how his panting turns to soft breathing, clearly visualized by his warm breath in the cool evening air. The sun has set, not long ago it seems, and the stars and the moon is enlightening the world.

Stiel slowly finds some peace, fear flees his body, the adrenaline runs off. Calm settles in.

And then a chill creeps up his spine, makes him sit up straight, wide-eyed, suddenly cold.

He looks at the book, a slightly scorched thing with a cover made of skin. There is no text on the cover. He wants to open it, he really wants to open it. Suddenly the world around him is dark, the air he breathes is like liquid silver, his skin feels like ice, and the only warmth comes from within those covers.

Stiel opens the book, releasing a musty smell, a warmth, and all fears go away. Something powerful lingers just beyond his touch, everything looks so sharp and crisp, his muscles tense with an exhilarating feeling, he feels hungry and satiated, aroused and pleased. He feels terrifying, huge, and dangerous.

Stiel has never felt so alive, so present, so above them all. Everyone of them, beneath him, unworthy.

He slams the book shut with a scream.

***

Blinks.

What happened? It is dark, cold, in the middle of the night. The Knight-in-Waiting shudders, disoriented and scared. He sees himself sitting against the tree, quite beyond himself. It scares him.

All is quiet. Not a noise in the night.

Stiel clutches the book and closes his eyes again.

***

Blinks.

Stiel wakes up just before dawn.

"You found it," says the old woman, standing bent over him, heavily clad in a mouldy robe. She stares intently on the book, her mouth half open. Stiel notices some drool in the corner of her mouth, the reek of urine and filth around her reminds him of the cave. "Give me," she says with a shivering voice.

Stiel swallows hard, and looks down at the book he's clutching to his chest. His arms and hands feel as if locked in iron. Carefully, he unclenches his fists, forcing himself to loosen the grip. It is almost painful.

He hands the book over. The woman snatches it, holds it tight to her chest, and chuckles.

"Opened it, did we?" she asks, almost amused, but with a hint of danger in her voice. And something else, something alert and maddening.

"I don't know," whispers Stiel. He feels worn out, sitting there against the tree. There is no strength left in him, he can't bring himself to stand. Not yet.

"Heh! I see," cackles the woman. "Get back to your Ceremonial Stand, dear Knight-in-Waiting. I have granted your wish."

Stiel stares at her. "What?"

"A challenger awaits," she says, and leaves him there.