E. 10. "Beware of Green" (4/10)

Later that day, Kale is lying on the sofa, scrolling through his smartphone. He then hears footsteps echoing up the stairs behind him, causing him to look behind his shoulder.

The source of the footsteps is coming from Nolan, who is prancing up the stairs with a large smile on his face.

Kale carefully watches him as he leaps onto the second floor, spins into his bedroom, and closes the door behind him.

SLAM!

Kale instantly peers back ahead of him with his phone lowered, staring at the front door across the room while his mind processes the opportunity that has arisen. He swishes his head from left to right then back to left before looking ahead back again.

He then hops onto his feet, rounds the sofa, and climbs up the stairs.

He strolls down the second floor hallway and halts in front of the closed bedroom door to his right. Then with a sharp breath in, he knocks on the door.

Knock, knock, knock.

Kale stands silently in front of the door, waiting for the sound of footsteps or the doorknob turning. Yet there are no sounds coming from the other side of the door.

He knits his eyebrows at it in concern. "Pat?"

Silence replies to him.

His mind begins swirling in the possibilities of Nolan's state as his eyes widen and his hands sweat. With haste, he grabs the doorknob and turns it, pushing the door open.

Kale's eyes immediately fly open as a gasp escapes from his mouth. He stumbles back at the sight inside the room.

On the other side, Nolan is standing with his back facing the defenceman. Brilliant green energy outlines his shape, its soft ribbons drifting from him. Due to the dimness of the room, the energy is vivid and bright, casting the room in a green tint.

Nolan whirls around to face Kale, the wispy streams of energy twisting around himself with his motions. With the energy meandering from him, his hair and clothes majestically and slowly wave to its path. The most noticeable feature is his eyes: pure white with a green outline pulsing around them as they brimming with energy.

With trepidation written all over his face, Kale steps back into the hallway, keeping cautious eyes on the frightening supernatural sight of his friend.

"Pat...?" he forces out in a quivering tone.

"Nolan's not here—" Nolan replies to him in Carter's deeper tone.

Kale's heart skips a beat at the different, unexpected tone of his voice.

The energy from Nolan's eyes recedes, revealing his clear blue eyes.

"—but I can take a message for him," Carter's voice finishes off with a sly smile on Nolan's face.

Kale instantly freezes as his face turns pale at the mental connection of the situation. "Carter...?"

His face lights up with surprise as the energy around him collapses into embers of green and white. "Good! You know it's me!"

With disbelief, Kale stalks into the bedroom. "What did you do with Pat?"

"No worries, he's in a safe place." He lays his head on the back of his clasped hands with a soft look.

Kale halts feet away from him. "Bring back Pat!"

"Sorry, I'm not doing that anytime soon." He rubs his fingers together, sprinkling leftover magic from his fingers. "I got what I want from him and I'm not letting go." He snaps his eyes down at him.