1 | 5

| 5

            "Wake up! The bus will be here any minute now!" I yell, shaking Gianna violently.

After a full hour of tickling, shouting, and a few slaps to the face, she bolts up. Her narrow eyes foggy with sleep are already filled with hatred. "What time is it?" she moans.

"9:55am," I tell her.

"What? Why didn't you wake me up sooner? I can't look decent in five minutes!"

I watch with utter disdain as she lugs herself out of bed and runs to the bathroom. This is the only time I will ever put effort into waking her up. Being a Companion doesn't include being an alarm clock. Slowly, I trudge to the bathroom and stand in the corner, biting my nails in boredom as she masks her skin with a layer of makeup.

Freder and Wyatt are in the kitchen, dressed and ready for the seminar. Of course, Freder is wearing a tight fitting tank and basketball shorts. Wyatt is in a striped sweater and cargo pants. I'm only wearing a t-shirt and jeans. The time for first impressions is over.

"Hey, Olive and Gianna! Good morning! It's our first morning together as Companions!" Wyatt cheers.

Gianna grumbles and I half-heartedly smile. 364 mornings to go with these people and I truly think it can only get worse from here.

We hear the bus idling outside and hurry down the stairs. This bus is different, with booths instead of chairs so the whole Companionship is forced to sit facing each other.

"Our first Creation seminar. So many firsts in one day!" Wyatt exclaims.

The three of us collectively shoot him a look that clearly says tone it down. I was expecting him to be quiet and broody after the visit from the Service member, but I was wrong. I guess that shows how much I don't know about my Companions yet.

A Companionship from the Lodging next to ours boards the bus and the trek towards the seminar begins. After two stops at nearby Lodgings, the bus is full. We gaze out the windows in silence, watching the grassy hills roll by. Shortly, we arrive at a low, glass building that almost seems like a mirage with the sun's rays reflecting off of it. It's long and wide, entirely transparent. Dozens of other buses are parked beside it. I can see the building is packed before we even enter.

The inside of the building is bustling with Companionships. The building is actually a giant open space. Row upon row of light, wooden desks with seats for four take up the middle of the room. Narrow aisles and paths for walking are between the tables. At the front, a single plastic podium and white movie screen call for our attention. The only non-glass part of the building is a rectangular box in the corner for the bathrooms with water fountains attached outside the doors.

Cards with Companionship numbers are on top of the desks. Wyatt spots ours at a table near the center of the room.