Chapter Forty-One

"What do we need to talk about?" Maleena's eyebrows were sewn together in confusion. 

        "You and Cody." Chandler's posture only slightly relaxed as he stared down his sister, a range of emotions readable on his face. 

       "What about Cody and I?" She took off her boots, leaving them by the door, ready to take off her sticky makeup and tight show clothes to slip into her pajamas for the night. 

       "I really don't know the best way to say this without coming across too nosy, but...y'all have been awfully touchy feeling recently. A lot of PDA and such recently. So I have to ask, are y'all sleepin' together?" The second the words came off his lips, he wished he could take them back. He knew his sister better than that and even though he wasn't sure why, he suddenly felt like he had to protect Maleena in a way; to him, it just seemed like they were moving awfully fast for only being together for a couple months. Though he trusted the couple to not make any decisions that would forever change them, and possibly regret, still Chandler felt like that was where they were quickly headed, even if they didn't realize it themselves yet.

       Maleena stood up straighter than a stick, glaring at her brother. "What? Are you serious? Wh-how could you even ask me a question like that? No, no. Absolutely not. Cody and I are not sleeping together. We just really like each other and I see no problem with that." She took a step closer to her brother. "I am the happiest I have ever been in my entire life. Mom and dad approve of him, too. And that's sayin' something. Heck, they even let him spend the night here. Cody practically lives in this house with us."

        "Speakin' of mom and dad. How do you think that they would feel if they knew how handsy and kissy y'all are together and such? I saw y'all tonight. Cody had his hand on your thigh the whole time we were eating, and when he was driving, he held your hand the entire time. It was almost like he was afraid you would drift away if he wasn't touching you constantly." Chandler was never one to pick a fight with his little sister, but he was honestly concerned about how quickly she and her boyfriend were moving in such a short span of time. He had been in a relationship like that before, and it did not end well; deep down he just didn't want Maleena to go through the same heartbreak. 

      Maleena scoffed. "Oh my gosh, Chandler. Are you jealous of Cody and I or something? You have always enjoyed spending time with him. Y'all are friends. Heck you were even the one to set me up with him." She pointed out, her voice raised.

         Chandler shook his head, his hands on his hips. "I can't believe you would even ask me that. Of course I am not jealous. I am worried, Maleena. You used to hate how touchy-feely Dillion was with you, but now with Cody you're completely fine with it. I'm just worried where this is headed. That's all."

       "Where this is headed?" She repeated in a soft voice. Glaring bullets at her brother, she shouted, "Where this is headed? I will tell you where this is headed..." Maleena angrily pointed to herself before turning to put her cowboy boots back on. "This is headed to see her boyfriend since he is the only one who seems to really understand me!" With that, Maleena left the house, fuming with anger as she slammed the wooden door shut behind her, causing the windows to rattle. Practically running to her truck, Maleena fought hard to keep the tears that threatened to fall; her and Chandler don't fight. They were best friends, and always got along. However, the sibling's fight wasn't what was causing the rise of tears in Maleena's eyeliner and mascaraed eyes. Deep down, she knew that Chandler was right because she had begun to wonder the same thing about her and Cody herself. 

      Despite her concerns, Maleena dialed her boyfriend's number, resting her phone between her cheek and her shoulder as she fumbled with her keys, sticking the key in the lock, giving it a turn before hopping up into the cab. "Cody, hey." She let out a relieved sigh when he picked up.