I didn't say anything, still trying to sit up.

"I mean, here I'm even telling you to stop - your worried mate - and you-"

"You," I said bluntly, finally being able to sit up.

She cocked her head at me. "What?"

"You asked me what has me driving so hard."

"M-me?" She asked, looking a little surprised.

I gave her a deadly serious look. "Amber, one of the reasons we're in this is because that bastard of an Alpha thinks that he can take you from me. If he even gets close to you, I will lay my life down on the line in a heartbeat. I will defend you with every breath I have in me." I leaned near her a little. "If I cannot give every bit of this a hundred and ten percent now, then I won't be able to give it my all if it ever comes to that. Because not giving it everything I have, and then some, is unacceptable in my books. Especially when it comes to you."

Amber was quiet as I chose to lay back down, rubbing my face in my hands.

"If I can't give that for you," I muttered, "Then I just don't deserve you."

It all seemed quiet, the wind starting to rustle the trees a little. There was a vague sound of metal hitting metal in the training arena across the large clearing and a few barking commands from the drill instructors.

It was almost peaceful despite the impending doom that seemed to lay quietly over our heads. A pair of arms wrapped around my neck, holding me tightly.

"I don't want you to be afraid of losing me," Amber said softly.

I put my arms around her and held her tighter to me. "Can't help it. If it's not me, then it's my wolf. And the minute it's not him, then it's me. I just want this whole thing to be over and done with."

My mate gave me a warm smile. "Well how about for the rest of the day, it is. We won't have to worry about any of that stuff until tomorrow."

I chuckled, groaning as I sat up. "I just might have to take you up on that offer. I'm not sure I can even hold my own weight, let alone a sword or bow."

"Then let's head inside."

"Aw, now where are you two going?" I heard Jack ask as he walked over to us.

"To bed." Was my only response.

"We still have-"

Amber growled at him, pushing me along. "Yes, we're heading inside. Do tell my dad, won't you?"

He simply shrugged but nodded. "Okay. Later."

Once we were inside our room, I limped over to the bed and collapsed face first into it; not even caring that I hadn't undressed or anything.

Amber simply sat next to me.

"You just going to sit there?" I asked, rolling my head to the side to look at her.

She shook her head. "Actually, I was going to wait until you started snoring, then prove to you that you do snore really loudly."

I groaned. "After this hell, I deserve to snore as much as I want."

Amber impassively looked around the room. "So you're going to sleep on the couch for how long?"

"Shut up."

"I'm just saying. Just because you're tired doesn't mean I am."

"Just because you're tired doesn't mean I am." I mocked, rolling onto my back. "How are you not?"

She simply shrugged. "I'm not a work fanatic like you are"

"Very funny." I gave her a tired scowl, feeling my eyes close.

The last feeling was Amber kissing my cheek before leaving the room.

~*~

Darkness seemed to seep into the land as the sun nestled its way into the horizon, leaving everything a deep hue of orange and red. The shadows climbed their way up the trees and rocks of the silent forest, warning the creatures of the nocturne that was to follow shortly. It was deathly quiet. The wind did not stir, the birds did not sing their last goodbyes of the day, and the crickets seemed to be hidden in a different world.

Or perhaps the world was different.

However, I could hear one thing. My own labored breathing cut into the silence forcefully as I found myself standing near a bizarre formation of rocks that lay at the base of a steep cliff. I was injured but I couldn't tell from where. I just knew that there was pain and suffering, and Xavier wasn't there to help. I was human again. I could feel it.

I spun around repeatedly, clutching my body like a madman, calling out someone's name. I couldn't tell whose name it was. I had no memory of this person's name. It wasn't right, it wasn't familiar, it was distant and there was no association with it. But I kept calling it like it was the lifeline to my drowning form.

'She is gone,' a voice hissed around me.

'No!' I cried, feeling angry and violent toward the voice. 'You're wrong! I will find her!'

'Fool! She will never come back to you. She is cold as ice and lying as still as stone in the Hell that you brought upon her!'

'I DID NOTHING! YOU TOOK HER!'

There was a disgusted sneer in the voice. 'You only had to give me what was mine and this would have never happened. You brought it upon her and yourself!'

'I will find you. If not in this life, then the next. I will see to it that you are splintered from your world and spend eternity in Hell.'

A form appeared in front of me, looking like Amber. It couldn't be? The form seemed to shift repeatedly as a blade suddenly appeared in my chest. My vision seemed to flicker like a candle losing its flame in the wind.

'You will die here, and I'll piss on your rotting corpse before mounting your head on your pack's door. I'll obliterate every one of them and let their blood serve as a reminder to the others as to who they're dealing with. I'll take feast on your men, tarnish your women, and torch your children. And only after every last one has perished; only then will I find you in the next life and do it all over again. YOU have betrayed me, and YOU will now pay the price for eternity until your soul rots in desperation and buries itself in whatever cold hole it thinks it can use to hide from me.'

Emotions that I couldn't explain seemed to flood through me. Immense fear and anger, frustration and sorrow, rage and hatred. Above all, the sight seemed to flicker a blood red as the absolute craving to latch my teeth around the being's neck took over.

And then black silence.

'I'm coming for you, Xavier. Prepare to face your hell.'

-----------------

Just who the hell are you, Xavier? Sounds like you might have done something bad :(

Anyway, thanks for reading!!

-Kaedrik