Mrs.Simpson

"Welcome to Springfield Middle School" Ms.Wan greets me on my first day of work. I'm shown around the school once more time so that I don't get lost during the day. After that I'm introduced to other members of staff and students.

I will be working with Mrs. Hoover's sixth grade class. Miss.Hoover taught Lisa eleven years ago when she was in Elementary School. I think she got fed up of working with second graders so wanted to work with slightly older kids.

"Mrs. Simpson welcome to the 6th grade. I'm Miss Hoover. Class I'd like you to welcome Mrs. Simpson"

I look towards the back where three girls are sitting together. Britney on the left side is whispering into the ear of Kelsey who is sitting in the middle. They are both giggling, the girl on the right side is my Maggie who looks very uncomfortable.

"Mom what are you doing here?" The words exit her mouth and echo around the classroom.

As I walk towards her a group of boys get straws out of their rucksacks and blow spitballs into my hair. For the moment I ignore the little devils and head for my daughter's desk.

"Maggie remember me telling you about my new job?" I say softly but she is cringing wildly.

"Maggie listen to mommy" Britney says unhelpfully in a baby voice.

"Yeah Maggie" Kelsey chips in.

Maggie has her arms folded. I can sense the anger bubbling inside my daughter's body.

"Hello Mrs Simpson" Kelsey and Britney smile as though they've just placed halos above their heads.

Miss. Hoover comes over to us.

"Hey Maggie I'm sure you'll get used to having your mom as the class teaching assistant"

Britney and Kelsey snigger again before Miss. Hoover tells the class to settle down. I tell her quietly about the spit balls, rightfully she sends the boys out of class.  I'm strong enough to cope with spitballs and teenage boy behaviour. Bart was never well behaved so I'm pretty used to being around "naughty kids".

The first lesson is English History and I have to support two special needs students. A girl called Darla who is in a wheelchair and Ralph Wiggum who has been held back 7 academic years. I will be supporting them in all subjects, as well as Darla during recess and lunchtime.

"Are you Maggie's mom?" Ralph cries.

"Yes but I'm here to be everyone's teaching assistant" I say loudly so that Ralph can't hear the class laughing at him.

Darla's is sat in her stroller like wheelchair with a lopsided face.

"Hello Mrs. Simpson" she struggles to speak as saliva runs down her chin.

"Well hello Darla, I'm Mrs. Simpson and I'm here to help people"

She points to the rucksack that is attached to the back of her stroller.Miss. Hoover comes over to inform me that there is kitchen roll inside the bag. I wipe Darla's saliva then take a seat at the spare desk between her's and Ralph's.

Mrs. Hoover starts to talk about a topic in English History called the English Civil War. I know about the American Civil War but virtually nothing about the English. I didn't even know they'd had a civil war. Mrs Hoover tells the class how the English Civil War was a time when some Englishmen wanted to a republic while others still favoured the king. This wasn't just a revolution, it was a civil war too. Englishmen who wanted a republic went to war with those for who still wanted a king. Battles were fought all over England and buildings were destroyed, even some of the old beautiful castles. I'm probably the most fascinated person in the  room. I loved History when I was at school, I loved learning how other people lived and why they did stuff. I don't remember us learning much European history though. Oh well one of the perks of this job is that I will be learning lots of new things. Useful things like safeguarding and supporting children  as well as interesting stuff like different Historical events.