Interview

So here this is it. My first job interview in 27 years. Before I had Bart I worked as one of those waitresses on rollerskates at a burger bar.  The pay wasn't great and it was tedious exercise , but it was a job. As a waitress as all I did was ask people what food they wanted , listen and give it to them. In a teaching assistant job one gets to support others, listen, socialise and be useful.

I wait patiently in outside the principal's office to be called for the interview. While I wait I do what Lisa told me and think about the questions I might be asked. My brain then comes up with answers to the questions I may be asked. After a bit of rehearsing in my brain, I'm called into the principals office. The panel consists of Principal Wan, Mr. Patel the vice principal and Miss.Davis the school's special ed co-ordinator. After our introduction, I'm asked questions.

"So Mrs. Simpson what brings you here today?" Principal Wan asks me.

"Well I have always wanted to assist young people with their educational learning. I recognise that each student learns at their own place and I'd be able to help different students in ways that would suit them personally"

I'm asked more questions including experiences with children and young people.

"Well for the past 2 decades I have been a mother. My children are now age 21, 19 and 12. Having a current pre-teen daughter has once again allowed me to see how daunting those years can be. The experience and knowledge I have of tweens would  be beneficial if working with a middle school age group"

"Do you have any knowledge or experience of special educational needs?" Miss Davis asks me.

"Well my eldest child was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 12. I read lots about the condition and having a loved one with it has given me an insight into the reality of having it. I have loved and accepted him for who he is but I also see him as an individual who is not defined by his condition. There is a possibility that my husband may have a non-verbal learning disorder or high functioning autism. My eldest daughter who is now at Harvard has been noted to display signs of Asperger Syndrome. Academically she has never ever struggled and was fine in a mainstream classroom. But growing up she never found socialising with people her own age easy. So basically being around  people who have officially diagnosed and possible special needs has allowed me to develop patience and awareness"

They seem happy with my response to the question on special needs. I'm asked a few more relevant questions to determine whether I'd make a good employee or not. At the end of the interview I'm thanked and I have to wait to hear if the job is mine or not.

That evening I have a hot bubbly bath with candles so that I can rest my mind after a busy day. This is not something I get to do often but tonight Homer suggested I have a relaxing evening so that the job isn't on my mind. He was actually really helpful tonight by cook dinner. I say prepare but Homer was kind by letting me have a night off in the kitchen. He just chucked southern style chicken strips and frozen fries in the oven, then heated up some tinned sweet corn and whipped up a packeted gravy mix. It was just a lovely comforting dinner that I didn't have to cook and Homer gets Maggie to wash up afterwards. At first

Oh I'm so lucky to have a husband and children who love me. We may not be a perfect enough for the Disney universe and we have our moments. But you know what we support and love one another. I can't imagine my life without Homer. He has given me love, care, a home and three beautiful children. Homer is always there to support me, he was extremely supportive and excited when I told him I was applying for a job. He agrees that it would be nice for me to get out the house and have a bit of a life. It would also bring in a bit more money. Now that I've had my bath, I'm gonna be a good girl and hit the sack.