Karkat- feeling red

Start from the beginning

Karkat had always waited by the door like it would lessen the time away from you or shorten the time it took for him to meet you up, so you were careful opening the door allowing the cool air to hit you in the face waking you up instantly. If there had been any sleep lingering, it was blasted off into space that's for sure. It was chilly outside, the autumn leaves sending Halloween vibes everywhere. Speaking of Halloween, wasn't there some kind of party the trolls were throwing because John wouldn't shut the fuck up about holidays and how Halloween was the best thing ever. You were pretty sure that's how that happened, not that you were complaining. Your eyes met that strange warm tone of yellow and deep red that made up karkats eyes once you stepped outside; karkat was waiting, yeah, but today he seemed a little different.

Karkat wore his usual pants and shoes, but his sweater was off. You kind of stared for too long noticing the small change. It was definitely out of place. Stripes. Not visible persay, at least not from afar. But they were there. A very slight difference in saturation, yes, but they were there nonetheless. Thick horizontal lines of a slightly lighter tone of black covered his sweater interchanging with its usual deep tone on a one to one ratio. You swore up and down you were imagining it , but the more you stared the more the stripes seemed to stand out.

" karkat?" You muttered in disbelief.
"WHAT. AND STOP STARING DAMN IT. YOU'RE MAKING IT SEEM LIKE I HAVE SOMETHING ON MY NEW SWEATER YOU ASSHOLE." Karkat responded a light blush rising to the surface of his cheeks burning rose red before he turned away.
" COME ON, WE'RE GOING TO MY HIVE."

his hive? Why were you going to his hive? You knew his father would be there today and karkat had told you about him numerous times but last night he seemed to dread the thought of his dad coming to visit him and his brother for the month. Apparently he had been pestering karkat about something , but no matter how many times you asked him what it was he wouldn't tell you; often times changing the topic or saying it was nothing. Before you really could say anything the troll had grabbed your hand and started to lead you back to his hive. Holding his hand made your body just a tad warmer, apparently most trolls were hot blooded which is why they didn't really get cold unless it was extreme weather, but this also meant summer was a time to keep ice packs in their pockets on really hot days. Living on a meteor would do that to you , at least that's what you guessed.

Your walk with karkat was full of leaves crunching under your feet, hands interlocked for the most part, and struggling not to ruin the moment while casually slipping your fingers between his. Your cheeks were just as red by the time the silence between you broke. It wasn't bad silence, more like you were enjoying the moment and taking it in for what it was, you and your flush crush taking a stroll back to his hive.

Then it hit you like a ton of bricks as karkat unlocked his door and let you in. You had never actually met his father. Did he want you to meet him? Was this one of those ' I want to meet your friends' kind of hive meet up or something? Gog. All the friend zone possibilities were endless and at the same time limited, but before you could even spiral into that rabbit hole a slightly taller than Kankri troll stood up from the living room couch walking over to you both. Karkat stepped in and closed the door behind you , there was no escaping this, specially not when karkat was already introducing you.

" THIS IS ______." karkats cheeks went red again , you could tell he was getting flustered with the way his father eye'd you up and down, you were a little uncomfortable as you gathered yourself so you could speak.
" Hello Mr.Vantas, it's a pleasure to meet you" you reached out a hand not really sure if trolls did handshakes or what. When he didn't take it you were slightly crushed, that is until he wrapped his arms around you in a hug speaking happily.
" Hello _____ , im Signless, though you can call me 'dad' if you'd like, karkat has told me so much about you and I had to meet you myself. I'm sorry if I made him drag you all the way over just so I could meet you" signless seemed like he was pretty much your standard dad. Though you had to admit it was kind of weird how he said you could call him dad even though you're not his son in law or even family for that fact.