Slowly, Emmanuel leaned forward and covered her hands with his own. "Cassandra." Her eyes jerked up to his.

"You know why I am here, so let us not pretend."

"About the kiss," she blurted and then realised what she had said and balked in mortification. Her cheeks bloomed as she hastened to say something, anything, but nothing came to mind. Her dry throat constricted, and her lips moved, but no sound emerged.

Emmanuel chuckled quietly. "That... and more," he agreed.

Reaching for her right hand forced her eyes to meet his. "Cassandra," he began and then swallowed. "Since our very first moment together, I have felt a pull, an attraction to you that was so foreign to me. I have never felt the array of emotions I have felt these last few weeks. Then getting to know you - your bravery, your caring and compassionate disposition, your deep sense of loyalty and enormous capacity to love, your trusting nature, inner and outer beauty - those tentative ties became more binding as each day passed." He searched her eyes, as though looking for some sign.

It was the first time since he had walked in that Cassandra sensed his vulnerability. He looked so grave and sincere. Hearing him speak set her heart soaring, but she kept her emotions in check and held back.

He took a breath. "It had not been long before I realised that I had never met a woman," he clarified, "that there could never be another woman who would ever compare to you. You have captured my heart, my Lady, and I would have it be yours for the rest of my life if you were of a mind to accept it."

His dark lashes rested briefly on his cheeks as he sought courage. When they opened, those brilliant blue eyes, were filled with emotion.

"I love you," he said simply, "and would be honoured if you would agree to be my wife."

Filled to capacity with a love so overwhelming, Cassandra could barely speak. Her throat burnt with unshed tears as she stared at the amazing man who had just laid his heart bare before her. He was the dream she had always dreamt.

On an ecstatic laugh Cassandra launched herself at him, toppling him backward onto the sofa. She went red, but this time, didn't care. Her eyes sparkled with luminescence, as they stared down into his startled ones, "Yes, Your Grace. I would be thrilled to be your wife."

Emmanuel was quite taken aback. Although he expected the lady to consider his proposal, he had not been assured of her acceptance. Cassandra's avid response sent ripples of pleasure radiating through him.

He had landed on the sofa, and Cassandra was on his lap. "This is entirely inappropriate, Cassandra."

His eyes smouldered. Cassandra laughed, feeling carefree. "How scandalous, indeed."

She caught his head in her hands and held his eyes as she softly whispered, "I love you." Before her lips descended, she said the one thing he had asked her to repeatedly, but never had. She said his name.

"Emmanuel, I love you."

4 hours later

Both women sighed as Cassandra concluded. "He went to speak to James immediately thereafter. I have not seen James this happy in a while. I think he hopes this would put an end to my nightly duties."

Emilia's eyes were filled with tears. She hugged her friend again. "Oh Cassie! I am so very glad for you. You deserve every happiness."

Cassandra sniffed and returned her friends embrace. "Thank you, Em."

They broke apart when there was a knock at the door. Rose entered, curtseyed and hurried to deliver a note. Cassandra scanned it quickly and then turned to Emilia.