Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"Before we begin, my Lord, do we have your word that all parties will be honest and open about their involvement in this matter? And that everything we divulge here, remains here?"

"That goes without saying, Cassandra," said Emmanuel.

"Right then." She looked at Emilia who nodded. "When Em and I turned eighteen, we were told, by my parents, who were still alive at the time, that we had been chosen as guardians. It is a long line of women, from my family and Emilia's, two chosen from every generation. It is the reason Em and I became close, the reasons our families have always been close. It was destined.

From that point on, we were trained in combat - sword, blade, pistols, more rudimentary weapons like bows and arrows too. Our calling was to help where help was needed. In the years that passed, we have dealt with everything from spirits to the most evil murderers.

However, the last few weeks have been the most challenging in our limited years. No clues, no witnesses, nothing. Just victims, puncture wounds in the neck, drained of their blood. We had begun to suspect... vampires."

Cassandra looked at Elizabeth and she smiled encouragingly. "Although we have read book upon book on the subject, we have never encountered any, never really believed in their existence... until now. When you found us the other night, we were working on a tip from one of our sources. When we saw you at the dockyard, we assumed you had something to do with the murders. At this point, we still do not know how you are all involved..." she trailed off.

"Remarkable," said Elizabeth, looking to her husband.

"I have heard of the Guardians, but like you thought of our kind, I thought it mere legend," said Mick.

"Well, my neck says otherwise," said Jasper, rubbing the spot where Emilia had hit him with the butt of her pistol.

"Surely it cannot still hurt after so much time, Lord Hale?" asked Emilia, exasperated. "Your ability to heal is remarkable."

"My Lady, is that your idea of an apology?"

"I was not offering one, My Lord. You have yet to explain why you were crouched over that man, for all intents and purposes, feeding off him?"

"Bloody hell, I was not feeding off him!" Jasper snapped, annoyed at her readiness to believe the worst in him. "I was putting the poor sod out of his misery!"

"Excuse me?"

"Jasper," said Emmanuel. "I think we ought to start at the beginning?"

Jasper and Emilia shared another look. "By all means, Castlereagh. Oblige us. You know this story as well as we do."

"As you both know by now, Mick, Jasper and Elizabeth..." he hesitated for a split second, "are vampires. Their secret is a closely guarded one, and their anonymity, and ability to blend in with society is vital to maintaining their cover.

Vampires live among all of us. Most have adapted to the current ways of society, and for that reason, like the Konstantin's, have chosen to live their lives devoid of actual human blood. They feed off the blood of animals."

Emilia frowned. "Exclusively?"

"At most, we venture to procure human blood from hospitals or from morticians." Jasper seemed to take pleasure in saying that.

"Although there have been numerous killings which are associated and related to vampires, most of the time humans tend to overlook the obvious and another, more plausible motive is conjured for the deaths," Emmanuel continued. "However, a few weeks ago, numerous bodies started to appear, and with the same cause of death."