Chapter One

I was 8 when it happened.

 My parents were tucking me in when we heard someone banging on our door. We never got visitors, ever. They told me to stay there while they went to check it out, but did I listen?

 No.

I followed after them, curious, but what met my little green eyes was not what I was expecting. I had figured it would be people from Sheild, the organization my parents worked for, but there were no men in suits. Instead there was a man in a blue uniform, supporting a man wearing all black with a mask covering his face. 

He had long brown hair that went to his shoulders. Weapons covered every part of him, on his legs, waist, and even sticking out from where they sat on his back. The man in blue spoke. 

"Sarah, Marcus, I need help. This man needs medical attention." My parents looked at each other, still not noticing me. They were worried about something, but I didn't understand what. 

Did they know these men?

My dad looked at him. "Steve, are you sure he's... safe? We have a daughter now. What if h-"

"He's not what everyone thinks. He's my friend." He stopped as the man in black coughed up blood. "Please, I can't take him anywhere else."

The look in his eyes was desperate. Pleading. My dad sighed and waved him in, the man in blue thanking him profusely. 

He laid him down on some towels in the living room. He asked for some things I didn't understand, and when my mom turned around to go get them, that's when she saw me. 

She hurried me away into my room, and before she could go, I grabbed her hand. "Momma, who are they?" 

She just shook her head and shut the door, this time locking it. I was so confused that I just went to sleep. I didn't understand what was going on.