twenty-six

"Cause I got issues, but you got 'em too. So you give 'em all to me and I'll give 'em all to you."
-Julia Michaels; Issues

Germany-2016
(Vera)

James, Sam, and I were stationed inside a terminal while Sam's 'Redwing' scouted around the airport, searching for some kind of hanger. Steve had told us a Quinjet would be here somewhere, and we were trying to locate it while he bought some time.
"Found it," Sam said, pointing to a metal building by the communications tower. I turned to James, who was watching Steve.
"He's fine," I assured him, speaking in Russian so Sam wouldn't know what we were talking about. Also because it pissed him off, and I got a great deal of entertainment from that. 
"I know. I was actually worrying about you." He replied and grabbed my hand.
"Don't. If you want to worry about something, worry that he's making some dumb speech and is about to do something stupid."
"Oh, I do worry about that sometimes." He admitted.
"Then you worry too much because I think Steve will do that regardless."
He smiled and kissed my forehead.
"Alright, lovebirds, time to go!" Sam called as he made a gagging noise. We ran down the hallway, and I glanced outside to see a person in a red suit climbing the windows.
"What the hell is that?" James cried.
"Everyone's got a gimmick now," Sam grumbled.
"What's a gimmick?" I asked.
"No idea. Add it to the list of things to look up later." James suggested.
"That's going to be a long list."
The thing in the red suit broke through the glass window and kicked Sam backward. James attempted a punch with his metal arm, but somehow, the thing caught it. James looked at it in disbelief.
"You have a metal arm? That is awesome, dude!" The thing sounded like a kid. I kicked him behind the knees, but not as hard as I normally would. He stumbled back, and Sam swooped in and grabbed him.
"It's just a kid," I said in disbelief.
"Who brought a kid here?! What if we hurt him?!" James seemed on the verge of a mental breakdown, but I just shrugged. He seemed to be holding his own. Sam had the kid locked in a midair battle while James and I ran to catch up.
"There!" I yelled, pointing to a glass terminal screen. James nodded, grabbed it, and threw it at the kid.
"Hey buddy, I think you lost this!" He called and threw the screen back at us before returning to his battle with Sam.
"He talks too much," I complained.
I watched as Sam was thrown into a kiosk and then somehow attached to the railing.
"Is that webbing?" I asked aloud. James shrugged, looking confused. The kid continued to talk, this time going on about Sam's wings.
"I don't know if you've been in a fight before, but there's not usually this much talking," Sam told him.
"Right, sorry. My bad." The kid apologized before shooting the webbing and attempting to swing away. James ran forward and grabbed the kid, trying to pull him down. Instead, the glass railing Sam was attached to shattered, and Sam fell down a level landing next to James. I stood still on the upper level, contemplating whether or not to use one of my throwing knives. Ultimately, my better judgment won, and I didn't kill a child. 
The kid was perched on a pillar above the two men and shot the webbing on them, attaching them to the ground.
"Guys, look. I'd love to keep this up, but I only have one job here today, and that's to impress Mr. Stark, so I'm really sorry." He called before shooting a web to swing on. Just in time, Sam's Redwing dragged the kid out the window.
"You couldn't have done that earlier?" James complained. I roll my eyes and jump down, landing by the escalator.
"I hate you," Sam told James. I glare at Sam and pull out one of my knives from my thigh holster to cut James loose. After James' arm was free, I cut Sam loose. All three of us ran out of the terminal and to the Quinjet. We regrouped with Steve, Mr. Lang, the girl, and the archer, all of us running towards our ride out of here.
Hovering in the air was a red person that drew a line in the cement.
"What the hell?" He muttered, getting more and more confused with each person we met. James just shrugged.  

"My sister was some weird friends," I told him. She had told me about a few of these people, but I honestly never paid much attention.  I think the red person was a robot of some sort, but I wasn't sure. 

"Captain Rogers. I know you believe what you're doing is right. But for the collective good, you must surrender now." It told us. More people in suits showed up beside it, including the kid we'd just fought, Tony Stark, whose Iron Man suit I recognized, and my sister. I had wondered if I would be seeing her here. 

"Wait, Nat's fighting against us?" James asked me quietly. 

"Maybe. Who really knows? She always has an angle. I wouldn't worry about it." I replied. 

Steve began to walk toward Tony, and we all followed. Tony and his team did the same. Soon, we were sprinting at each other, ready to fight. James and I ran straight for the panther. I twirled one of my daggers in my hand as James punched him. I threw a dagger, and the panther cried out in pain when it hit its mark- right in the left shoulder. I ran at him, and together, James and I got several good punches in. I slid underneath his legs and got up gracefully so I was on his backside. In one quick move, I kicked the panther behind his knees, knocking him off balance, and shoved him forward. James reached forward and caught him by the neck. The panther wrapped his hand around James' neck, too, and the two were locked in a chokehold.
"I didn't kill your father," James told him.
"Then why did you run?" The panther asked before forcing James' hand off his throat and kicking him backward into a nearby crate. He turned to me.
"I don't know, man, maybe because you're scary?" I suggested. He didn't seem to like my answer because the next thing I knew, I had landed right next to James. He extended his claws, and one of his hands went for James' neck, the other for mine.

"See? Scary." I told him.
Suddenly, a strange red glow appeared around his hands, and he was thrown to the side. I look up and see the girl from our team with glowing hands.
"There is so much going on here that I don't understand," James mumbled in Russian. I shrugged.
"I'm not sure if we will ever truly be able to understand it all."

__
"Yeah, I got issues. And one of them is how bad I you."
__