one

"All my friends are heathens, take it slow. Wait for them to ask you who you know."
-twenty one pilots; Heathens

Russia-1945
(Vera)

"Again!" Madame B shouted, motioning for the piano player to begin again. Several of the girls groaned including my twin sister Natalia, but I kept my face blank. I was happy. I loved ballet and the piece we were doing today was one of my favorites. I was the best of the girls here when it came to ballet. When the music picked back up I executed the routine perfectly, just like I had before.
"Better." Madame B said gruffly.
All of the girls were on edge because today a representative from Hydra would be coming to chose two of us to undergo a very special enhancement procedure.
"You are finished for the day. All girls over the age of 15 please go to the common room. All girls under the age of 15 please return to your rooms."
Half of the thirty girls that were in the room left, padding quietly in their soft-soled ballet slippers, while the other half, myself included, hurried to the common room, still wearing our pointe shoes, leotards, and tutus. I stood next to Natalia, waiting nervously for the Hydra representative.
"Do you want to be picked, Vera?" She whispered into my ear.
"I don't know. A part of me does, but another part doesn't." I admitted.
"I wish to be picked."
Before I could respond, a man in a lab coat and small rounded glasses entered the room. Following him was another, much taller man with a metal arm.
Everyone seemed to stand a little straighter.

"Ladies, I am Doctor Zola. I represent Hydra's science department. I am here today to change the lives of two of you. Those two will help to secure the safety of Hydra's new world. Those two will become the fists plowing Hydra forward and helping it to rise from the ashes."
There was a chorus of cheers and a few Hail Hydra's, but most of us just stared at the ground, wanting nothing more than to be dismissed back to our rooms.
"Now do any of you know why we are creating two?"
The room fell deadly silent once again. Of course all of us knew the answer. None of us wanted to say it  out loud. It was far too gruesome if one were to think about it too much.
"No answers? Hmm. We create two because recently our founder and leader the Red Skull was murdered by the hands of Captain America. And, as you know, Hydra has a motto; you cut off one head and two more shall take its place. Well today, two of you will have the honor of 'taking the place' so to speak. We have developed a serum, similar to the Super Soldier Serum that both Captain America and the Red Skull used to enhance themselves. However, ours is much more advanced."
Doctor Zola cleared his throat and smiled enthusiastically for the first time since he arrived. It was almost as if he enjoyed talking about science more than encouraging us to help Hydra and eventually become an asset for them to use. They should've sent one of their field agents or a recruiter to do this bit. Their talks are always very inspiring and they always make you feel less nervous about the life ahead of you because Hydra's got a plan for all of us. And that reason alone is why most join. It's easier, and everything's taken care of for you. You get money, food, and even a house provided. Everything you need. All you have to do is give Hydra your services.
"You will not only be provided with super strength, but you will have enhanced senses, speed, agility, the ability to process thoughts faster, and an enhanced healing component which will allow you to heal, say, a gunshot wound to the stomach in one to two weeks. And I haven't even told you the best part! After infused with the serum, your aging will slow down so much that in 100 years you will look and feel like you've only aged a year!"
The girls around me had wide eyes as they imagined looking like they did now 100 years from now. I did too, but it was hard to picture. 100 years from now I could look just like this, and be 19 still. The thought alone made my head turn circles. Doctor Zola cleared his throat once again, and a new wave of excitement seemed to course through him now that he could get onto his science. I was freaked out and, let's be honest, his little pep talk didn't really help my nerves. I did not want to get picked. I did not want my sister to get picked. I didn't want anyone to get picked.
"Now let's begin. I want you, you, you, and you to stay. Everyone else... leave." The scientist had a thick accent, and by now I was no longer even trying to decipher what he said. So, I began to leave, hoping that they wouldn't notice if I snuck out, but was stopped as a metal hand grabbed my arm. I looked up to see his emotionless face staring straight ahead. He tightened his grip on my arm and shoved me back into the room next to the other three girls who had been chosen I glanced to my side to see Natalia standing next to me. "Now, the Soldier will be taking you in one at a time to test you. Our chosen ones must have the perfect aim, perfect form when fighting hand to hand, and, above all, they must never lose. Afterwords, if you make it of course, you will show off your discipline and dedication to the art of ballet by performing the piece you have recently learned and perfected, or so Madame B tells me."

"Please don't make any sudden moves, you don't know the half of the abuse."

IMPORTANT:
-I have added a timeline at the end of this book. If you are ever confused about when certain events happen feel free to refer to it. It will be the last chapter called 'timeline'.

Hello everyone, Author here! Just wanted to say thank you for reading and I know this chapter may seem a little rough around the edges, but it DOES get better! I typically update every week so please add this story to your library for alerts on when I update. I do try and make every chapter over 1,000 words, but let me know if you'd like them longer or shorter. Also please don't forget to. VOTE ⭐️ and COMMENT📲! I love to hear from you!

Lots of love,
-Jedifb

Edited; April 29, 2019