xix. Truth or Lie?

Chapter NineteenTruth or Lie?

Chapter Nineteen
Truth or Lie?

✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧

      Returning to school after the events following Christmas Day proved more challenging for Davina. The courage she'd felt that night had slowly diminished when she met with James on the train. She'd barely been able to say two words to him before becoming a flustered mess and walking away.

When she was with him, she was an awkward mess and James quickly began to note the difference. Whenever he did try to bring up Christmas Day, Davina brought up an excuse to leave or managed to change the coming topic.

James was gradually becoming irritated at the behavior, knowing their relationship had become something neither of them predicted. James knew the Valentine's Day Trip was just around the corner and he needed to make his feelings clear to Davina before then.

However, Davina didn't seem to be making it easy for him.

During class, she'd take her usual seat beside Roman and wouldn't even spare the boy a glance. The one time she had turned to look at him was during Charms class when Lily Evans had decided to sit by him and work on the project Professor Flitwick had assigned.

Lily had been a little too friendly during their project and it was behavior James had never seen the ginger act out before him. Her stifled laughter drew the attention of the group near them, including Roman and Davina who merely glanced momentarily and looked away.

It especially didn't help having Davina leave right after class ended.

After a week of the same behavior and at times being blatantly ignored by the girl, James was doing whatever he could to corner Davina and have their long-awaited discussion. The boys had teased him endlessly about Davina and now they simply watched as their frantic friend held the Marauder's Map tightly in his hand as he tried to track down Davina.

"There she is!" James pointed out to her figure on the map. Sirius, Remus, and Peter looked over his shoulder to see the spot he was pointing at was the gathering of trees on the edge of the Black Lake. James' eyes furrowed when he noticed an approaching figure stop before Davina. "And she's with Kavinsky?"

Sirius glanced at James to see the annoyance written across his face. He clenched his jaw and gripped the edges of the parchment. "I'll see you guys later," James said, shoving the map into his robe's pocket and heading in the direction of the Black Lake.

"Did he look a little—" Remus began to say as he watched his friend leave. "Irritated?" Sirius snorted as he crossed his arms. Peter titled his head in confusion. However, all three of the boys knew that James did care deeply for Davina. They still weren't aware of the context of their relationship so they didn't see what was completely wrong with Davina hanging out with her well-known friend, Peter, but if James was that annoyed by it then it must be something.