x. The Mosaic Scrunchie

Chapter TenThe Mosaic Scrunchie

Chapter Ten
The Mosaic Scrunchie

✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧

      Davina breathed in deeply as she stared at her reflection. Grabbing the mosaic scrunchie on the desk, she tied her hair in its usual updo. Davina was the last one in the dorms, seeing as Lily and Marlene left early to meet Dorcas after dinner and Roman was invited to the party by Gregg Wood (an offer she simply could not refuse).

It was ten past seven which meant she was late. Davina clenched her fists anxiously and gathered whatever courage she had left to step out of her dormitory. Her shaky hand found the wooden railing as she descended down and met the sitting body of one bored Marauder.

      "James," Davina called. His eyes flickered up to see the petite girl standing at the foot of the stairs.

      "Thought you were going to back out," He admitted, standing and walking towards her.

      "We made a deal."

      James laughed and walked towards the exit. "That we did, Covey. Let's get going before it's over."

      Davina nodded despite his back facing her. The two walked down the halls, careful not to get caught as they slipped down towards the kitchens. Instead  oftaking the regular path to the kitchens, James led the two down a different hallway and stopped at the entrance of the Hufflepuff Common Room.

       "James?" Davina asked, curiously noticing the hesitation in his stature. "Something wrong?"

      "No—" He turned and saw her fixing her ponytail. "What're you doing?"

      "What?" She replied as she twisted the mosaic hair tie once more.

      James leaned closer and pulled the hair tie from her hair. "No, James! Give it back."

      He held it behind his back, gently placing a hand on her shoulder to stop her from reaching behind him. "I'm keeping it. I like your hair down."

      Davina furrowed her eyebrows. "Why?"

      "You look pretty," he shrugged.

      He's just being nice, Davina thought. Sighing, she did her best to straighten out her sleek black hair so it didn't seem as if she had just been wearing a hair tie. Hopefully, he's telling the truth.

      Davina froze. What did she care if he was telling the truth or not? James Potter's opinion of her hair was not her concern. She bowed her head slightly, causing locks of it to fall over her flushed face.