O n e

"Sick of waking up in darkness, when the sky is always painted blue." -Sam Smith

I watch blankly out the car window watching raindrops race down to the car window. I slowly follow the path of a lone raindrop with my finger till it is out of reach. I lost track at how many hours we had been driving a long time ago.

I glance at my dad next to me, gripping the steering wheel so tight his knuckles were turning white.

"Were almost there." He mumbles. It felt as if he was more telling himself then to me.

Those were the very few words my dad had spoken in the past few days. We got back from the doctors about about a month ago and he's been trying I know. But if we would ever come back from kemo a few times, then he would just crawl back into his room until the other day when he tells me to pack most of my stuff up.

So now were in the car, driving to my aunts house in Mystic Falls.

It was quite gloomy outside, just like my mood. My use to be bright blue eyes were now a sad dark color. My completion was sickly pale, lips chapped, my orange hair pulled into a ponytail. I don't know how I managed to put mascara on most days. I felt in some spots as if my skin was barley stretching over my bones like at my ribs and hip bones. I fiddled with the oxygen tank sitting at my feet, which was connected to a tube that led to my nose to help me breath.

Not that I saw much good in doing so.

And now I was being shipped off like some package with no shipping fee.

I then glance at my fathers anxious movements like his eyes moving back and fourth constantly, or moving around in his seat.

We pass a sign stating 'Welcome to Mystic Falls.' I stare out through the rain trailed window to see the small town. A very suburbs look to it, a big change. I noticed a few people that looked like they were friends walking toward a building called 'The Mystic Grill.'

A middle aged man who looked in his late 30's, with shaggy brown hair and beard, traveling with a young man who walked with a confident stride. He had black hair, and just before we drove past, he suddenly turned around a I saw he had shockingly icy blue eyes.

I looked away and leaned back into my seat. Trying to forget those icy blue eyes, that seemed to be going straight into my soul.

I start to feel something in my chest like I need to cough. I did that once, twice, three, and seven times till I couldn't breath and my eyes were watering.

Dad pulls over not to far from the grill and looks at me.

"Are you alright?"
Like you even care.

"Fine. Let's just get to Aunt Carol's." I turn back to the window and ignore him. As soon as I look, I see the same blue eyes peering around the corner staring.

* * *

We pull in front of their very large mansion, due to Aunt Carols mayor position. The sky was still grey and gloomy, but the rain had mostly stopped.

"Oh your here!" Carol says rushing out of the house and carefully stepping down the flight of stairs in the heels she had on. It never mattered where Aunt Carol was, she always dressed her best.

I try to pull off the best smile I can muster as she gives me a hug. I pull away and turn to see dad had already grabbed most of my things.

"Thank you so much again Carol. I don't know how to thank you." My dad says following her up the steps. I lean my head back at the muggy grey July sky and sigh.

I stare at the stairs. Since the... well, it, came back, let's just say, stairs and I haven't really been getting along.

I was about to the top and I had to stop and catch my breath. Come on.

"Belle! Do you need help?" Carol comes running back to my side. I take a deep breath, "No I got it." I say. She smiles at me with a worried look on her face.

I get myself to the door and a I give myself an imaginary pat on the back. I open the door and I remember just how big this house was.

Dad makes himself known coming into the room and I lean on the take as I push my shoes off.

"Well, Belle. I guess this is good bye. I want you to be at peace here in this quite town." My dad says while giving me a hug.

"It's ok dad. I love you." I whisper. No matter how much I hated him right now for leaving me, I still loved him.

"I love you too Belle. Good bye." He says stepping away. I can tell he wants to cry, so I stay strong and watch as he gives Carol a hug.

"Hey where's Tyler?" I ask changing the subject after my dad left.

"Oh um, Tyler's been out of town all summer on a school trip." She says.

I just nod.
That may have been the very last time I ever lay eyes on my father. For I may not be around for too much longer.

* * *

"Damon what was that? Plenty of cars have run through here and you've never been so interested in them." Rick says once they sit down at the bar.

"We may have another Lockwood on our hands Rick. One leaves and another just shows up." Damon says tipping his glass of burban back and taking a drink.