CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

The next morning, Ludovica's eyes opened up to find herself in the bed, staring at the bare wall across from her. She couldn't recall how on earth she had gotten there. The last thing she remembered was Dmitri and her in an embrace. Perhaps she had been exhausted and passed out.

Her eyes narrowed when a hand moved, one that was locked around her. When a someone stirred beside her, her eyes almost popped out of their sockets. The hand drew her back, pressing her back against his warm chest. His lips brushed over the curve of her neck, making her close her eyes as it sent warm soothing electricity throughout her body.

"Dmitri, wake up." She abhorred how much her voice trembled and came out high-pitched. "Dmitri!"

He jerked away, sitting up with the speed of light, his eyes searching the room for any sign of danger. When her gaze settled on the dagger in his outstretched hand, glistening against the sunlight that peeked into the room from the window, Ludovica reached out and took hold of his hand.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you."

His brown eyes flickered amber like a lightning storm, then his expression softened. "You should never startle a wolf."

"I know...When did I fall asleep? I don't remember much and..." Her voice drifted into the distance when her eyes settled upon his bare chest. She looked down at herself, glad to see that she still wore the same clothes as yesterday.

"Don't worry. We didn't do anything. You passed out in my arms and I carried you to your bed." He thought for a moment. "I should have known you were talking in your sleep."

He drew the bedsheets off before he swung his feet off the bed and got up, stretching his arms and all Ludovica did was freaking admire his muscular torso and arms. When he glanced over his shoulder at her, she averted her gaze, her cheeks growing warm. Without a word, he left the room.

Ludovica pulled her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around her legs before running a hand through her hair, trying to remember what had happened. She couldn't even remember dreaming at all. What could she have said?

By the time she did remember, Dmitri returned with breakfast in hand. With wide eyes, she stared at him, feeling a pressure in her chest built up as she recalled Caleb doing the exact same thing: Bring her breakfast in bed.

Dmitri looked down at the pancakes, scrambled eggs and bacon. "You don't like pancakes?"

"Of course I do." She smiled. "Thank you."

Last night, after he had carried her to the bed and lay her on it, she had reached out to hold his hand before he could leave. And she had begged him to stay with her.

"Ludovica? Are you okay?"

She nodded, not able to form words.

Before Dmitri could say anything else, Hellen opened the door. With a dazzling smile, Hellen made her way to Ludovica, then handed her a toothbrush. "Do you remember where the bathroom is?"

"Yeah," Ludovica answered, still staring at Dmitri.

Hellen turned to Dmitri, but before she could say anything, the loud ringing of the phone resonated through the house. She ran out of the room in a blur. Dmitri took a seat beside Ludovica on the bed.

While holding the plate with food in one hand, he raised the other and cupped her face before sliding it back to fist it in her hair. Her gaze dropped to his lips when he drew her closer, causing her cheeks to grow warm. She grabbed the plate from his hand, dropping her head, smiling.

"Thanks for the food." At a soft chuckle, she lifted her gaze to meet his. "What's so funny?" Perhaps, grabbing the plate from him was a mistake. Now, not only was she enveloped in his fragrance at such proximity, but she also had to deal with him trailing his forefinger along the curve of her bottom lip. The heat on her cheeks spread through her face, even her damn ears got warm.