Club Crazy

Chapter 1

We walked up until Everdeen Street. Then we sat on a decomposing bench and waited for the bus. I brushed my poop-colored hair out of my brown eyes. My long legs were streached out in front of me.

I stared at Bram. He’s my best friend. His blonde hair was practically just stubble from his recent buzz cut. He's lankily built and all legs. Bram was a little shorter than me, which is a fact that all-too many people loved to rub in his face. He was dressed in a pair of old, worn-looking jeans and a T-shirt with a picture of a pair of squirrels with armloads of acorns on it. The caption read ‘It’s all fun and games until someone loses a nut.’

His green eyes glance over and hold my peering stare. “What? Do I have a bug on my face?” His eyes widened. He hated insects. “Flick it off! Erg! Get it off!” He leaned forward expectantly. When I didn’t move, he grabbed my hands and used them to smack his face. “I’ve always wanted to do that.” I said jokingly. I put some force behind the wimpy blows he was giving himself. “Ouch,” Bram rubbed his cheek in a mock hurtful expression. “You really know how to hurt a guy. In here.” He said, clasping his hands over his chest. Thankfully the bus came and cut off any tart response I would’ve given. “Ladies first.” Bram grinned.

The club was noisy. Well, it was noisy a few blocks over but the vibrating door I stood in front of simply bled sound. I gripped the buzzing handle and walked into the wildest party my young life had ever seen.

The club was obviously meant for a young crowd. It had wooden chairs and tables running along the sides of the brick walls. The dim lights shone on girls in skimpy green outfits and trays were serving drinks to the teens at the bar. The band on the stage was screeching rock and roll music. The guitarist spread his feet apart and whipped his long hair back and forth in a series of bows. The singer wrapped his fingers around the mike and wailed lyrics to the crowd. People were dancing in any gaps on the glittery floor they could find. The place was swarming with young faces. There had to be at least 150 people there.

“Are you ready to have a good time?” I nodded. Bram linked elbows with me and started darting through gaps in the crowd, dragging me along with him. People glared at us as we pushed past but Bram refused to acknowledge them. Tonight’s  primary goal was to get me drunk. Or so I thought.

Bram reached the bar a second before me. Using our fake IDs Bram ordered me a bottle of beer. He examined me for a second and then said “Actually, make that two.” I rolled my eyes.

Once we got our alcohol, we wadded through the crowd again. This time, we headed to the dance floor.

Ten minutes of ramming through underage drinkers got us much closer to the band than I thought it would. I awkwardly bounced on toes in a way that I hoped passed for dancing. Bram was leaning against the wall and nodding at the chicks that came out of the ladies room. Their giggles died once I shot them one of my most famous, most piercing glares yet. Bram wrapped a possessive arm around my shoulders. “Having a good time yet?” Bram chimed. “Hardly” I grumbled. Bram’s lips skimmed my nose which was a move that sent the bathroom chicks into a whispering frenzy. I pried his arm off my shoulder. We’re not dating, if that’s what you’re thinking. He just loves attention.

“Awww. Jayne can’t take a little affection?” Bram teased. He chugged down the beer. After wiping his mouth on the back of his hand, he smashed the bottle. Shards of glass flew up and smacked back to the floor. I rolled my eyes.

Bram tugged my bottle out of my hand. He took a long sip and returned the beer to me. “Hey!” I shrieked, “Mine!” It was Bram’s turn to be annoyed. “Fine. Whatever.” He snapped. I raised my eyebrows in wonder of his moodiness. Then I turned my attention to the band. The drummer banged his solo. I swear, my tounge was hanging out of my mouth as I gathered every detail of his hotness.

 He had long blond hair that fell into his eyes. His mysterious brown eyes were so light that they looked like liquid gold. Two cute dimples were drilled into his pale cheeks as he raised his drumsticks into the air. He finished the song by throwing the sticks into the air and catching them behind him. He stooped into a formal bow with his hands clasped behind his back. His baggy tee shirt showed off his tall and skinniness.

 I watched him as he gathered his instrument. He unexpectedly whirled around and held my stare. My face was smothered in a flush of pink and a shy smile fanned out across my cheeks. Drummer Boy flashed me his all-too straight-and-even teeth and I, once again, saw his dimples. He dropped his drums and took a few quick steps toward me, still holding eye contact. Suddenly his nose wrinkled and his hand flew to his face like he smelled a dead cow marinating in a pool of its own blood. His expression hardened. Drummer Boy spun gracefully on his heels. Leaving his equipment behind, he made his way to the glowing exit sign. I frowned. What was that about?

“I-I’ll get as d-drunk as I want to. Thank you veeery much.” Bram slurred and stuttered loudly to the bartender. I grimaced. I had no idea how Bram was around alcohol. He’s usually a really nice guy, I swear. He’s always kind, sweet and cracked too many jokes. Looking at him now, I just saw another underage alcoholic begging for a ride to the next party.

I grabbed Bram by the collar and dragged him into a hallway. I saw two dark figures clinging to each other in the corner but other than that, we were alone. I let go of him. My falling hand was caught by Bram. He pressed my palm to his lips and gave it a slobbery kiss. “You’re especially lovely this evening.” He said, drawing out some words longer than others. I smiled and yanked back my hand that was now shiny with his drool. I noted his unfocused eyes. “You’re drunk.” I said. Bram looked like he was considering it. “I guess. But just a little.”

He slid his arm shakily around my waist. “I like cookies” He mumbled in my ear. Ummm, okay? “That’s nice. Good for you Bram.” I replied. His eyes snapped back into focus. He leaned heavily on me. I started to back away. Bram suddenly gripped my shoulders and raised himself to my height. He garbled nonsense words. “Okay. You’re obviously stoned. Let’s get out of here.” I said firmly.  Bram staggered out the doorway, leaning on me to the point of collapsing. He was too heavy. On my way down to meet the floor, two steady hands wove together into a safety net and caught Bram and me.

“Thank you.” I shouted over the music. “You’re very welcome.” I heard a smooth male voice respond. His quiet voice seemed to echo off the walls. I found myself being lifted onto my feet. I turned to face the guy who saved me. He was dressed in black tee shirt and over-worn looking jeans. The ends of his black bangs brushed his long eyelashes. His eyes were so dark that they looked black. Or maybe they just are black. He was rather gangly. A smile graced his beautiful face.

“Hi,” he said, still holding on to me, “My name’s Alec.” His polite voice was like a black hole. Each word made another  musle relax as it melted in his hands. Telling myself I was crazy, I struggled against him. His arms tightened around me.  “Hello Alec,” I choked back, “My name’s Wendy” His eyebrows drew together like magnets. “Liar.” He declared. I stopped kicking. How did he know?

 I looked down at Bram’s motionless body on the floor and guilt gripped the back of my throat. I didn’t even stop to think about him. Alec must’ve thought I stopped because I was scared. He simpered at me. Alec’s lips brushed my ear. An unpleasant shiver ran down my back.

 “I’ll give you a chance Jayne Placko.” Alec spat. My eyes widened in horror. He knew my name. “We’re going to take a walk. Just you and me.  You will be silent. Don’t speak unless spoken to. Got that?” I nodded shakily. “If you try to escape, so help me, I will shoot you where you stand. One wrong move,” He whispered, venom dripping in each word, “One wrong move, I will hunt down each and every loved one. Your precious Bram included. Understand princess?” I bobbed my chin, eyes trailing back to my unconscious friend. Alec’s arm wrapped around my waist in a death grip. He kicked Bram’s head before dragging me across the club and out under the star-lit sky.