Life 1: Not a Devil, not Evil.

Start from the beginning

"Is he that powerful? Even ultimate class Devils can become servants," Rias retorted with a pout. "Onii-sama, at least let me try..."

"No... and that's my definite answer..."

Brother and sister stared at each other for several seconds, the male with a solemn expression while the female looked awfully expectant. It was rather odd that Sirzechs would act this curt and dry despite how much he loved his dear sister. However, this was a serious matter.

While the Red Satan had no idea of the Evil God's identity, he could sense his vast power, which was unlike anything he had felt before. Evil pieces couldn't reincarnate Gods or Buddhas into Devils. Nonetheless, he found out that this evil God in particular showed him a certain number of pieces that would be required to make him be reincarnated as a Devil.

Evidently, this unknown God was a unique case.

"None of us have enough evil pieces to make him our servant."

The crimson-haired girl blinked, just like the black-haired one at her side did, who happened to be part of her peerage, Rias' Queen, Himejima Akeno.

"Wait onii-sama..." Rias stood up from her seat, slightly irritated, "Are you telling me that he could indeed become our servant? But the problem is that we lack pieces?"

"In a way, yes..." The Demon Lord replied immediately.

That was absurd! Her first thought was that reincarnating evil Gods as Devils would be impossible because of the power they held, but in this case, the problem was the number of pieces? She could understand why her brother couldn't do it as his peerage was complete. But she had many unused pieces. Maybe her brother was overly worried that such a fierce deity would harm her, which honestly was highly conceivable.

But... the reward was in the risk, and an ambitious woman needed to know when to take it.

"Onii-sama, I possess plenty of pieces I have yet to use..." She sat again, regaining her composure. "What are the number of pieces I need?"

Rias's peerage was far from being complete, and she was determined to make him her servant. She had many unsued pieces, so there was no way that he was out of her reach. She was a high-class Devil from the Gremory Clan, and as such, it would be only natural that a powerful being such as that God would become her faithful servant. With someone like him at her side, even her forced engagement to that insufferable man would be history if she was to play a Rating Game for her freedom and defeat not only him, but his new Queen, the Red Tyrant.

Several seconds passed, which seemed everlasting, until the Demon Lord responded.

"To reincarnate him as a Devil, you would need 8 pawns..."

Rias blinked at the revelation, but nodded, realizing that it was to be expected.. The intimidating man was an evil God after all. Yet this would mean that she could...

"I have 8 pawn pieces at my disposal, onii-sama. I can mak-"

"...2 bishops..." Her eyes widened at the interruption or... new added information.

'...More pieces? Then I really can't...'

"2 Knights and 2 rooks... These are the pieces needed for him to reincarnate as a Devil. You do not possess all those pieces, Rias," Sirzechs finished.

Grayfia and Lord Gremory knew it as Sairaorg Bael did, who was informed on their way back to the palace. Depending on the power of the Devil, the number of pieces that would be required to reincarnate the being into a Devil were fewer. While Rias required 14 pieces to make the Evil God her servant, Sirzechs, even as the Demon Lord, would need only his 2 rooks, 2 knights and 2 bishops, which were not available either.