ch. 1

Sugar smiled at the picture of Jenifa on her phone, she had missed watching Jenifa's diary.

"Sugar, come oo" her mother Dimchi called from the parlour. Sugar reluctantly answered her mother obviously enjoying her bed and phone as rain fell outside.
"Yes" she answered falling beside her mother on the sofa.
"My dear, I know that rain is falling but can you help me go to your father's house, take the big umbrella" Dimchi said while hand picking melon.

"Ah mummy, under this rain that is falling like village elders are fighting, the umbrella will just spoil, we will na waste money to buy a new one" Sugar said not liking the idea of going out in the rain.
"My friend, start going and come back before five, so that we'll go to church early"

"This is not fair oo" sugar said as she dragged herself to the kitchen and brought back the umbrella, she was about to open the door of the house when her mother's voice stopped her
"Have I told you what you are going there to do"

"You said I should go to my father's house" Sugar answered scratching her head nonchalantly
"Sometimes I just feel like slapping you're head so that you will get sense" her mother replied throwing one of the melon seed at her, she just continued scratching her head like nothing happened.

"My friend find that melon seed for me" Dimchi said already irritated.
"How do you expect me to find that small melon seed?"
"Using your eyes, abi are they for fancy" her mother answered as if she had being expecting the question

"Mummy, in this rain induced darkness, I can't see anything" Sugar said frowning deeply at her mother's horrific request
"Use your brain, why did I send you to school, is it to be asking me useless questions? Find a torch light"

Sugar dragged herself to the room and got a torch light and searched the floor until she found the melon seed, she handed both the melon seed and the torch light to her mother.

"Why are you giving me this torch light?"
"Just hold it incase of necessity" Sugar said over eager to leave the house and her mother in particular
"Go and drop it" she dragged the torch and angrily stormed into room and dropped it.
"So why am I going to my father's house" Susan said as her younger brother Geri enters the house in his school uniform.

"Mummy good afternoon, sugary good afternoon"
"Gerald, how are you?" "Fine mumsi"
"Gericho, how is you?" Sugar asked
"Mummy she is spoiling my name" Geri reported to Dimchi
"call his name well"
"Okay, Geri"
"mummy that is not my name still, tell her to call it the way you named me".

"Call him properly Sugar Adaeze Gemma DozieChukwu"
"Gerrrrrald" she shouted "mummy you were here when he called me sugary" Sugar complained
"Must you complain, can't you forgive him, he's your younger brother" Dimchi retorted

Sugar frowned while her brother who she is barely an inch taller than laughed and left but not before scattering her hair, she was about to pursue him when her mother reprimanded her

"Leave my son alone, don't you see he came back home under the rain, I don't know why you children don't listen to instructions, why would that boy come home when rain is falling like this, I don't have money for drugs oo"

"But you're sending me" Sugar murmured
"I heard you oo, anyways I've already talked with your father, just go there he might give you something" Dimchi said as she continued to pick her melons.

"Why did you stop me when I was going then?" Sugar asked  in annoyance
"So you can learn to ask questions" Sugar just rolled her eyes and bit the inside of her mouth to keep from hissing.

Geri walked into parlour wearing a red polo and three quarter kaki trousers.
"Geri, go and cook that rice" Dimchi said in a 'don't dare argue voice'
"But mummy I just came back na" Geri complained
"And you will fry the tomatoes with red oil except you want to go under this rain to buy groundnut oil"
Geri just frowned as he entered the kitchen