Unlikely Friends - Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Call me that again, and I'll run you through with my sword," she threatened, but something about her tone seemed off. Like she was... scared. Cassandra was scared of Varian.

Varian just looked at her, a smirk tugging at his lips, his arms folded across his chest. You looked at him, and he caught your stare. 'I'm sorry,' you mouthed with watery eyes, and he smiled warmly at you. Cassandra caught the drift, scoffing at Varian and dragging you out.

You heard the slam of the cell door behind you, and stifled a sob. You would see him again.

You had too.

--------------------------------------------------

"(Y/N), would you care to explain yourself?" Your father boomed, his anger shaking the throne room. You flinched slightly, but held your ground, your head high.

"Not particularly," you quipped, and Rapunzel placed her hand on your shoulder. You looked away.

"Please, (Y/N), we just want to understand, we're all so confused," she pleaded, and you looked back up at her.

"Fine," you spat, and faced your father again.

"I first met with Varian about a year ago, as I was curious about that had happened whilst I was away visiting Aunt Willow," you lied. It wasn't a complete lie, though.

"When I went to see him, I was surprised, because I wasn't confronted with a dangerous monster. I was confronted with a scared and frail boy. I spoke to him, and I continued to visit him in secret. We became good friends. I trust him," you said, and your father curled his lip.

"Cassandra said that when she found you, you were..." he gestured with his hands.

"Kissing? Yeah, I guess that's what happens when you love someone," you said, surprising yourself. Did you... did you just say that you loved him?

Everyone in the throne room looked shocked in one way or the other. Your mother gasped, her hands over her mouth. Your father had a strange glint in his eye, and his face hardened. Rapunzel, oh Rapunzel. She was smiling slightly, her hand on her heart. She stood up and walked over to you, putting her arm around you.

"Dad," Rapunzel said quietly, "you forgave Eugene, for me. This is no different, and Varian is only a child. I suspect he's not only grown physically in these past years. Trust (Y/N) on this. She has good judgement."

You looked at your sister, tears welling up in your eyes. She stood up for you, for Varian.

Your father straightened his back.

"I suppose, if we were to have the boy under close watch, he could be released on probation," your mother cut in, her smile soft and loving. You stared at her, unsure of what to say. Turns out you didn't need to say anything. You rushed up to her and hugged her tightly, finally letting out all of your tears. She beckoned at someone.

"(Y/N)," a voice said from behind you.

Varian.

He was held by two guards, his hands cuffed and his face streaky from crying.

And he smiled at you.

"Varian!" You yelled, running into his arms, which of course, were cuffed. You both fell over, the guards letting go of him. You landed on top of him, your lips on his, as you grinned through the kiss.

"So, you love me, huh?" Varian said quietly, and you laughed.

"Of course I do," you cried, tears running down your face. You heard the clattering of chains as Varian brought his hand up to your face, sitting up, you in his lap. He wiped your tears.

"I love you too, (Y/N)," he admitted, and you pulled him in for a kiss.

"Ahem," someone coughed, and you looked to see Rapunzel, stood behind you, her arms behind her back.

You stood up, helping Varian up. You both stared at her, and Rapunzel stared at you.

"I'm happy for you," she beamed, but her smile was directed at Varian. He looked taken aback, but slowly smiled too.

"Thank you, Rapunzel," he said, holding his hand out (his other in close tow, unable to move from the handcuffs). She slapped it aside, and pulled him into a hug.

You saw him stiffen, then relax, as he buried his face into her shoulder.

You ran at them, wrapping your arms around your new boyfriend and your sister, who both laughed.

Unlikely friends.

Yeah right.

Unlikely lovers.