'I don't know, I found this book in the forest, and started writing in it. Who are you?' You asked again, the question unanswered and lingering in your mind.

'Why should I trust you?' You read, and you furrowed your eyebrows. Whoever was writing this sounded scared. Paranoid.

'Why should I trust you? For all I know you are some magic paedophile that's tricking me,' You wrote, your hand disconnected from any common sense that was still present in your brain.

The words 'Magic doesn't exist' appeared on the page almost instantly, and you rolled your eyes.

'Then how do you explain this?' You asked, and the notebook fell silent - so to speak.

'What do you want?' It finally wrote back.

'I don't want anything, I don't even know who you are,' You wrote, your writing scribbly with your speed.

'Tell me who you are first,' The notebook demanded, and you physically sighed. Like, out loud. As if you were talking to a person.

'No, you first,' You demanded.

The notebook was silent.

'My name's Varian,' it - no he - answered back, and you stopped in your tracks, your hand hovering over the name, which you recognised. You racked your brain. Oh!

'Are you the Varian I keep hearing about? The one who did all those horrid things to the Princess?' You wrote quickly, realisation fuelling you. You decided it was probably best if you refrained from revealing that you were Rapunzel's sister.

Silence.

'I guess so,' he answered back. Your eyes went wide. You were speaking to a criminal, and not only a criminal, but the very criminal who almost tore your family apart in the most horrifying way possible. You were not present when everything happened; you were away visiting your Aunt Willow. But, when you had come back, Corona was no longer the bright and happy kingdom it once was. It had seemed in shock.

'How did you get this book if you are in the dungeons?' You asked, generally curious.

'The guards were sick of having to wipe my chalk drawings off the prison wall, so they gave me this to make their lives easier. I doubt they knew what it could do. They wouldn't have given it away otherwise. Then again, they aren't the smartest, so who knows?' He wrote back, and your eyes scanned the words as they appeared. Okay. He wasn't fond of the guards. Dually noted.

'Why should I keep talking to you? You're a criminal,' You asked, your heart pounding as you awaiting his answer.

'Please don't go,' He pleaded, 'I don't have anyone to talk to down here. I haven't had a conversation with anyone in almost a year.'

You felt your heart pound in your chest. You felt sorry for him.

'Fine. But, if we are to continue this little endeavour, you'll need to know my name. Yes?' You asked, aggression slipping into your tone, 'although I'm fairly sure that when you learn who I am, you won't want to talk to me anymore.'

'I beg to differ,' Varian wrote back.

'Okay then, here goes nothing. My name's (Y/N),' you informed, and you could almost feel the silence fall over the book.

'Rapunzel's sister?' He wrote back, after a while.

Not 'The princess', but 'Rapunzel's sister'. He was already associating you with her, which wasn't good. If you wanted to get information, you needed to be trusted.