Chapter Two

Ivystar woke up by the Moonpool, her nose wet. Sorrelfern sat beside her, confusion highlighting her face. "Was that Hawkfrost in StarClan?"

"I think it was." Think? She didn't think. She knew that that was Hawkfrost. She had never seen him die, when she looked back on it. And now... "Sorrelfern! He's a StarClan cat! Bluestar said she was going to test him!"

Sorrelfern's startled gasp echoed slightly around the Moonpool. "We... we should get back. We'll discuss it on the way there."

With a sigh and a nod, Ivystar stood up shakily. Memories of blazing pain flickered away as she padded across the paw marks of her ancestors. "Why did it hurt so much?"

The medicine cat gave her a half-glance. "I don't know. You can never speak of it to any other cat but me."

The white and silver tabby gave a snort. "That's helpful. I was totally going to tell someone."

As they neared the Thunderpath, Sorrelfern asked, "How do you feel about being the leader of a new ThunderClan?"

"It's... overwhelming," admitted Ivystar. "I mean, I keep thinking about how there's this warrior that ran off with a cat from another Clan, or a medicine cat gets a mate, or a forest full of evil cats attacking the Clans, or SOMETHING crazy just going on!"

Sorrelfern laid her fluffy tail across her friend's shoulders. "Relax, Ivystar. I can't say anything about Jayfeather, but I promise not to find a mate. StarClan knows you'll have a lot of problems to deal with soon enough."

"Not helping me," Ivystar grumbled, but she flashed a grateful smile to her friend. "Let's just get over this Thunderpath."

The Thunderpath, as usual, reeked of monsters and smoke. Ivystar gagged as she stood by it, while Sorrelfern looked nervously back and forth. "And... go!"

The two she-cats shot across the Thunderpath, pebbles flying under their feet. There were a few screeches, but neither of them looked back until they were safe in the trees. "I will never get used to that," panted Sorrelfern.

"You'd better, because I'll have to take Jayfeather to the Moonpool next time instead if you can't, and I really don't want to o through that horrifying experience."

The ThunderClan medicine cat snorted loudly, kicking at a clump of grass. "Well, you've convinced me."

"I know I have," replied Ivystar with fake smugness. "Now- there's ThunderClan territory up ahead!"

Together, they raced over to the ThunderClan territory, ignoring the fact that they were definitely not close to the lake. They ran past their borders and into the forest, panting. Ivystar mewed, "Shouldn't we slow down?"

"No!"

Bursting through the tunnel, Ivystar bounded into camp. The cats waiting there erupted in cheers. Frostfire, Ivystar's recently appointed deputy was the loudest of all. She gave a small purr and then called, "I have received StarClan's blessing and my nine lives!"

The cheers sounded once more, but eventually died down. Sorrelfern padded away and returned with two mice from the fresh-kill pile. Flinging one in front of Ivystar, she mewed, "Eat up, Ivystar." Ivystar lowered her head thankfully and took a bite of the mouse as her sister, Dovewing came padding over. "Congratulations!" Her sister mewed, eyes bright with pride.

Through a mouthful of mouse, Ivystar muttered a thank-you. Dovewing stood there for a moment longer, and then turned and walked away.

Ivystar remembered the phantom pain again, and then- oh, no! Hawkfrost! What's going to happen now?

That night, when Ivystar laid down to sleep, she felt a cold presence pressing her nose. Drowsiness overwhelmed her, and a moment later, she was standing in the forests of StarClan.

This kind of experience would normally bring a grin to her face, but it dropped into a scowl when she saw the tom sitting awkwardly in front of her. "Hawkfrost," came her growl. She schooled her face into an angry, disgusted expression. Ivystar could have sworn that Hawkfrost flinched.

He dipped his head somewhat sheepishly. "Ivyp- I mean, Ivystar."

"Did you do that on purpose?" Ivystar demanded. His only response was a slightly smug shrug as he flicked his tail nonchalantly.

Bluestar emerged from the bushes. "Hello, Ivystar. I had a feeling that you'd be here soon."

"A feeling, or did you bring me here?"

A small, amused grin came to the former ThunderClan leader's face as she waved her paw. "Does it matter?"

Hawkfrost yawned exaggeratedly loud, and then looked pointedly at Bluestar. "Can we get on with this?"

"The arrogance remains, I see."

"I guess I have too much of my father in me." Hawkfrost spat out the words with an undertone of irritation. Ivystar gave him a sharp glare, and this time, he didn't flinch at all.

The blue she-cat sighed. "Well, anyway, Hawkfrost, we're supposed to send you back to the living for a second chance, but first, you have to tell me... which StarClan cat's life force will you use to send you there."

"Can I choose dear old father?"

Ivystar spoke up, "I honestly can't tell if that was your honest opinion or just your never-dying sarcasm."

"I think those are the same thing, Ivystar." Hawkfrost said, moving to lay down on the grass.

Bluestar growled slightly. "I really don't like you, but do you want to fight me or Ivystar?"

"Ivystar."

Ivystar grumbled and stepped forward, glaring at her old mentor. "Fine."

He smiled. "I assume I'm not allowed to use my claws?"

"The fact that you had to ask shows how little you've changed," snarled Bluestar.

With a dramatic sigh, Hawkfrost stood up and braced himself.

Ivystar leapt, swiping at his eye with a yowl. He dodged effortlessly and knocked her to the side. Rolling, Ivystar stood up again, letting out three short breaths. In a heartbeat, Hawkfrost lunged, his paws ready to strike. Ivystar darted to the side, smacking him with her paw. He spun as he flew to the side and landed on his paws, hissing and running for her again. Ivystar jumped at the last second, intending to land on him, but he raised his paws and batted her down. They were both so evenly matched until they stopped playing.

With a snarl, Hawkfrost flung himself on top of Ivystar, batting at her eyes. Bluestar watched in horror as their attacks shifted to reflect the darker training they had had from the Dark Forest.

Ivystar threw herself backward, smashing him against the grass, and then turned and swiped mercilessly at his belly. Hawkfrost kicked her off and pawed at her neck, and she yowled, jabbing at his face. "You're good, Ivystar, but I didn't teach you everything," he called as he smashed two paws into her side. She fell, and he pounced. Ivystar lifted her legs to toss him the minute he landed, but he landed squarely on her stomach and chest, missing her flailing paws and knocking the wind out of her.

Hawkfrost got off and stood there as Ivystar heaved and gasped for breath. Lightly, he stretched out a paw and flicked it across her throat.

Ivystar stood a moment later, giving him a dirty look as she shook the dirt and grass out of her fur. Bluestar frowned- their Dark Forest training had clearly gotten the better of them. "You two should really try to forget those tactics."

"They might come in handy the next time an evil army of cats attacks," replied Hawkfrost smartly, licking his chest.

Bluestar groaned. "You two will be the death of me."