16 - Shouto and (Y/N) Reunited

This chapter is going to be mostly from Shouto's POV, enjoy :)

On the first day of school at UA, Shouto waited around for the class to start. A huge part of him was curious as to whether he would see (Y/N), wishing for her to be in his class, whilst the bigger part of him that wanted to keep his distance wished she wasn't.

Ever since that night at her house, keeping her away from his thoughts had become even more difficult, threatening to break him. But he knew he had to be strong, for her

So in order to take his thoughts away from her, he resolved to observe his classmates. There were two guys, one with bright red hair and the other a vibrant blond talking to a pink girl animatedly. In fact, not only them, but a few of them were already making conversation, such as the short bird guy who seemed to be in a deep conversation with the giant guy that had multiple arms, and so on.

Unlike all these conversing students however, Shouto had no plans to get cosy with his classmates, which was why his attention was caught by the two boys who seemed to be fighting at the front of the classroom. Or, well, a more accurate description would be one of them was clearly agitated, berating a bored and angry-looking boy, who was leaning back carelessly into his chair, giving off an indifferent aura, accentuated by the thoughtless way his legs were splayed on the desk in front of him.

Shouto observed the tall dark-haired boy waving his hands around wildly, gesturing at the table. "Don't put your feet on the desk!"

"Huuuhh?" the blond drawled with a condescending smirk on his face

The agitated hand motions increased. "It is extremely rude and unbecoming of a hero to display such behaviour as soiling our school's desks! Don't you think it's rude to our UA upperclassmen and the people who made the desk?"

"Nope. What junior high did you go to, you side character?"

They continued arguing, and as it went on, Shouto could see that the dark-haired boy's blabbering was starting to irritate the blond. He watched the way he was gradually tensing, and braced himself for a fight between the two to start, when he saw something out of the corner of his eyes that made his breath catch and his heart skip a beat.

(Y/N). She was standing by the door, her eyes bright and a big smile pulling at her face, looking excited for what was to come. She looked so elated and happy, but Shouto could tell she was nervous too, if the way she rubbed her wrist was any indication.

He could feel a prickling of guilt beginning to build inside him, just looking at her. The memory of how he had hurt her, pushed her away, and tried to convince her that she meant nothing to him weighed heavily on his heart. He couldn't shake the knowledge that he had caused her pain, and it pained him to see the remnants of that hurt etched in her nervous tick.

For one thing, he was again reminded of what he'd done, how he'd hurt her and pushed her away, trying to make her believe she meant nothing to him.

However, despite the guilt, a profound sense of joy welled up within Shouto. He couldn't deny the exhilaration that surged through him, realizing that (Y/N) was in his class. He wondered if he could steal moments close to her, if he could let himself indulge in her presence, even if just a bit... 

He quickly tried to push away that feeling. It wasn't worth contemplating it, and he'd made it clear to her that things weren't going to change between them. 

Yet, despite his resolve, he found himself unable to tear his gaze away from her as she headed towards the commotion of the blond and dark-haired guy.

Instinctively, he sat up straighter in his seat, an internal alarm sounding within him. If a fight broke out now, she would probably get caught in it or instigate it. He knew, even at their old school, she couldn't stand rude people or people that picked on others, and he figured she was probably on her way to help the waving-hands-boy talk to the angry one.