Literature of Relationships

Based on True Events

Novel

Their relationship was long, lasting pages and pages of clean, crisp paper. Each word said was written in neat font, standing out dark against the white. She knew him since middle school. He stood at the door of her house with a rose and asked if he could take her to dinner. She never had a boyfriend before.

That was just the beginning. One night, he went to her house to help her with the passing of her mother. She was a mess, broken and red-faced from crying so much. He held her in his arms and talked about their future together. He even stayed the night until she fell asleep and came back the next morning. She loved him going on five years now.

The night he left was a mystery to her. She couldn't think that he would leave her, but even the longest of novels must end. Some may be started again, some left with a cliff-hanger end.

Novella

That year, she moved to college. She packed most of her things, but left everything he gave her behind. The blue necklace, the bracelet that read "You are Beautiful", the earnings, the giant stuffed teddy bear. All of it left for the new owners to find. Pain doesn't fade easily.

She worried more for her studies. She stuck her nose in many books, keeping her mind off of her pain. Why did he do this? What is he doing now? Does he already have a girlfriend? Thoughts clouded her mind. They needed to be destroyed. Fast.

Short Story

He stayed back in their home town, having let her go so she would follow her dream. He did not want to keep her trapped when she could do so much more. To him, the pages were short. Only five or six, maybe even ten. He didn't plan to marry her, to keep her forever. He only told her that. He preferred the short stories. They didn't take as much time as the novel. Less commitment needed to be made.

Flash Fiction

His relations were fast, barely making it on the page, one night done, too quick to care too long; he did not care for relationships, not anymore.

Haiku

The wind howled one night

Calling her back to the mountains

The place he still lived.

Free-Verse

They met up again,

On a cold December night;

She came back for break;

It had been years;

He made small talk with her,

They both felt something;

They hooked-up, they spent the night,

They woke up the next morning,

No, they did not forget;

They still loved.

Shakespearean Sonnet

She is one of her own;

She was his lover;

She, her skin now white as bone;

Her hair seemed to cover

Her head like a halo in the dark;

Her eyes the shade of a bright moon;

That one night at the park

When everything seemed out of tune,

A car struck their own,

He could hear a scream;

A chill went straight to his bone,

He wished that now it was only a dream

But alas, she had died that night

And he is no longer in sight.