eighteen

RYLIN'S POV

we get into grayson's car, me in the back, and start driving to the movie theaters. i can't ignore the pit of guilt i feel in my stomach about leaving ethan, though.

amy and grayson talk the entire drive there but i just tune them out and stare blankly out the car window. as much as i'm trying to not think about the shitty stuff that's happened, it's all i do.

"ry, what movie do you wanna see? there's that new horror movie the nun, or maybe a comedy?"

i shrug. "it doesn't matter to me. whatever you guys wanna see."

her eyes linger on me for a second, then she just sighs and turns around. "let's see the scary movie."

grayson's eyes dart to me through the rearview mirror, concern pooling in them before they look back to the road. "are you sure you're okay?" he asks me.

i shrug. "yeah, i'm fine."

he nods skeptically. "you just seem like you don't want to be here."

in all honesty, i don't. amy practically dragged me out. but like she said, this will be good for me. as sad as what happened is, i'm still young. i can't let my life keep revolving around my grief. the sooner i put it behind me, the better. 

i look down at my jeans, pulling at a thread to keep myself occupied. i'm about to answer him, but he speaks before i can.

"ry, i can turn around and take you ho-"

amy hits his arm, cutting him off. he winces, "what the hell was that for?"

"stop prying. we're supposed to be having fun, not making her want to go home."

"i was just giving her the option," he defends himself.

"if she wanted to go home, she'd tell us."

"guys, stop. i don't want to go home. let's just have a good time."

the last thing i need right now is for amy and grayson to be arguing. there's been so much negativity around me lately and it's making me feel so suffocated.

"sorry," grayson mutters over his shoulder, sort of to both me and amy. i can tell grayson hates arguing with amy. he glances at amy and i notice him reach his hand over the console, palm facing up.

but she doesn't take it.

-

when we get there, it's packed. it's the opening weekend for a ton of new movies, the nun being one of them. we weave our way through the crowd to find the line for tickets and that's when i hear some guy calling amy and grayson's names. 

"amy! gray!" his voice barely surpasses all the chatter, but we hear him. 

i follow them, trying not to get too annoyed by how many people bump my shoulder or hit me with their arm because they're not paying attention. 

when we find them, grayson does some bro handshake with the guy and amy hugs the girl. i stand awkwardly to the side as they all greet each other.

they start talking and catching up, leaving me to feel like some kind of fifth wheel. i tap amy's shoulder and she widens her eyes at me as if to say sorry for forgetting about you.

"rylin, this is jade," she points to the girl with dark, straight hair and silverish eyes. jade smiles at me warmly, and i immediately get a good vibe from her. 

"hi," i give her a small wave. then amy points to the guy standing next to her with dirty blonde, almost light hazel brown hair. 

"and this is austin." his blue eyes meet mine, and he smiles at me.