Chapter 8 - Thinking

The class lined up in front of the bus waiting to get and chattered about all their experiences on the the trip today. "Lily and I saw the coolest meerkats today! They all looked at us when were making faces at them and then they ran away!" Emily smiled widely and looked at her friends.
"I keep trying to tell her they were scared of us but she won't listen." Lily said desperately. The other 3 just stood there with looks disappointment across their faces.
"No!" Emily pouted. "They wanted to play chase-y but I couldn't just jump in the pen, like that would be totally dumb and I'm not dumb."
Kelsey sighed. "You are d-"
"You are definitely not dumb.....I agree." Chloe slapped her hand across Kelsey's mouth quickly.

"All right class, its time to go now." Said the teacher. Everyone started to board the bus. Emily sat next to Kelsey, Chloe and April sat next to each other and Lily sat alone across from them.

April looked out the window and listed to her class chatter about things she couldn't care less about - she really didn't care about anything at the moment, what Kelsey had said to her earlier was distracting her. She had never been told anything like that. She was used to half-heartedly unsigned love letters left in her locker at school or people coming up to her and saying 'I love you' then running away. Kelsey's confession was the only one that had truly moved her. She already had liked Kelsey before but now she was even more gay and in love.

April admired Kelsey for telling her her feelings. She only imagined how much courage it would of taken to tell someone that right to their face. Kelsey wasn't always like that though. She remembered the first time she met her, she was quiet and shy, like Lily almost. April couldn't get Kelsey out of her mind since their meeting.

———flashback time———

It was a good day today for April. Her soccer team was winning the game they were playing and a cute new girl had joined her class. April liked the girl for some reason but didn't know why; she hadn't even had a full conversation with her! Even so, she continued her game of soccer without thinking about her.

The whistle blew to signal the end of the game and April's team won. "April, I have your water bottle!"
"April! You were so cool today!"
"Teach me your skills, April!"
"Notice me April!"
"April, I love you! You're so cool!"
"Here's a towel April!"

Even though April was still in her first year of middle school, she had gained quite a following very quickly and was even considered one of the most popular girls at school. She was starting to get used to her fanpeople. "Thanks guys." She said modestly. She squeezed her way out of the crowd in an attempt to leave but she saw the new girl standing behind the bleachers shyly looking at her. April thought it would be a good idea to introduce herself as she has not done it just yet, they were in the same class after all!

She walked up to the red-head and smiled, her fanmob following her close behind. April noticed the girl was a bit smaller than her but she looked like she played a bit of sport herself. "You're the new girl, right?" She asked and smiled friendly. The other girl nodded shyly. "My name is April." She reached her hand out for a handshake.
"I-I'm Kelsey....." Kelsey said quietly and shook April's hand.
"Mm? What was that?" April tilted her head slightly. "Keely? Kayla?"
Kelsey smiled a bit. "It's Kelsey."
April giggled a bit and scratched her head. "Well then, Kelsey, glad to meet you."

Kelsey just nodded and looked at the ground. April thought it was kind of cute. She had an idea. "Want me to show you around tomorrow?"
Kelsey was a bit taken back at first but nodded and hid her smile. "If you want...."

April didn't know what it was about this girl but she seemed like she would be very special to her.

———end of flashback time———

April sighed. She really did always have feelings for Kelsey ever since that day. She wanted to let her know that. She didn't know how....a love letter maybe?

April finally decided. No, I have to just go up and tell her......I'm going to ask her out!

"April?" The green-eyed girl heard a soft voice next to her.
"What is it Chloe?" She asked still half daydreaming.
"Are you ok? There seems to be something on your mind." Chloe asked calmly.
April smiled reassuringly. "It's nothing, just thinking about stuff."

Chloe smiled knowingly. "I hope she says yes." She said quietly.

April just stared at Chloe with a shocked expression on her face. "How did......you know......?"