Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

The lights were dim in my living room when Jackson pulled up to the curb. I stared at my front door, dreading the thought of being interrogated by my father. I just wanted to go in bed and lay down, in hopes that these frantic thoughts will go away.

I didn't notice I’d remained seated for far too long, until Jackson killed the engine, and I glanced at him. "I'm sorry, I was trying to mentally prepare myself...to face my father." I admit sadly, looking away from him.

"I could take you somewhere else, if you want," he suggested. The suggestion sounded nice, however it would place me in a very compromising position. I didn't have the strength to handle my conflicting feelings for Jackson, while determining how to save my own relationship with Kyle- Johnathan.

It would be too much.

I sighed. "Thanks, but I'd rather go lay down." I denied, gathering my dress in one hand and using the other to open the door.

"Alicia texted me. She says Kyle might be heading here right now." He declared causing me to pause mid-way while going through the door.

I slowly looked at him. "So let him."

"I only have one piece of advice and a promise to give you Lyla. That is to follow your heart. Don't think of yourself as a lightweight in your own relationship and career. Do what your heart tells you to." he advised.

I felt somewhat reassured by it, and I nodded in understanding. "And your promise?"

"I'm only a call away. No matter what, you can count on me. As a friend if needs be." he continued meeting my eyes with a small smile. I mirrored his polite expression and nodded again.

There's a part of me, that will always be appreciative of knowing Jackson.

I heard his jeep drove off after I closed my front door. I'd closed it gently, in hopes that my father would be asleep and not hear me come in. Thankfully, when I peeped inside the living room, I saw that he was sprawled into the sofa fast asleep. I suddenly remembered him telling me he had a bad instinct about Kyle. I never should have doubted him.

It was only ten minutes after I changed into my nightwear and was about to remove my makeup, that my phone beeped and I saw a message from Johnathan, asking me to give him a chance to explain himself. I'd scoffed at his text and threw my phone aside on my bed. What was there to explain? The truth was already out.

He's a liar.

I peeped outside my window and saw that his car was parked outside. Moments after, my phone rang and I reluctantly answered.

"Johnathan." I said firmly.

He sighed. "Lyla, Please give me a chance to explain. I'm right outside." he pleaded.

I inclined against my window sill. "I know you're outside."

He didn't respond immediately, but moved onto my lawn so he could see me. He'd removed his tie and unbotton the first two buttons of his shirt. His hair looked disheveled from here and I could tell its because he ran his hand through it too many times. "Lyla, I'm so sorry. You don't understand how much I wanted to tell you the truth."

"And yet you didn't."

"I couldn't! I mean, how would I?"

"How? By introducing yourself as Johnathan Harrington!" I snapped.

He scoffed. "And what would you think? That I'm some creepy stalker." he accused.

"I already think that! You completely fooled me. I mean, what do you think was going to happen Kyle? You're my freaking boss!" I shouted, my eyes glaring down at him through my window.

"Lyla...When I first saw your paintings, I...I was just so intrigued. After I found out who you are and what you look like, I just knew I had to know you. In a personal way. I'm not some freak show okay? If anything, I am your biggest fan." he explained softly.

His words should touch my heart. They really should. But they didn't. All I felt was rage. "So that's why you convinced your father to make that Spain deal?" I enquired.

He sighed and glanced at the ground, and I could already feel my eyes watering. And here I thought I was actually a great painter....

"All I did was pitch your name on the paper. The buyer in Spain really did choose your works out of the others. But choosing you as the face of Vision...Was my idea." he admitted, then shamefully glanced up at me again.

"Lyla, I messed up. I really, really did. But believe me when I say, whenever I'm with you I feel more like Kyle than Johnathan. My feelings aren't fake. If it was, I wouldn't have lied this whole time." He continued.

I wiped away the tears flowing down my cheeks and turned my back on him. "You know I made a mistake earlier," I began, pausing in my speech.

Everything became much clearer now. And listening to Jackson's advice earlier, I've decided to take heed to it.

I'm no longer going to be a lightweight that anyone can trick and manipulate.

"What's that?" Johnathan asked hesitantly.

I glanced over my shoulder at him. "My mistake was addressing you as Kyle. Because Kyle doesn't exist. I fell in love with Kyle not Johnathan. You can't build a relationship on a lie. If you do, then the relationship becomes a lie, and that's exactly what we were Johnathan...A lie." my voice broke and I quickly shut my lights off before he could see me breaking down in tears.

"Lyla....Lyla please-"

"Goodbye Johnathan." I interrupted, then ended the call.

*Phew!* Thoughts?-With Love, Chan

*Phew!*
Thoughts?
-With Love, Chan.