Chapter 5

June 12th - 4:38 P.M.

When we arrived at Rucker’s field, the sun was beginning its descent in the western sky.  The sky was on fire in a brilliant golden color, adding perfection to our date.  We walked up to the entrance of the fair ground.

Rucker’s field was normally empty grassland, spreading across a hundred acres.  Once every year, the field was transformed into a magical atmosphere of rides, tents, and amazing food.  From the outside, viewers could see the towering tents and booths sprawled in all directions.  The massive ferris wheel was the main attraction.  The towering structure loomed over the rest of the fair, as it stood in the dead center.

At night, the fair would light up the night sky.  Spotlights would dance across the black above us, and strings of lights covered every available square inch of each tent.  I couldn’t remember an establishment ever feeling so welcoming.

Jason must’ve have noticed my wonder when he said in awe, “It’s amazing isn’t it?  I used to come here a long time ago, but I haven’t been in years.  This place was special to my family.”  He continued to stare at the entrance as fond memories glossed over his eyes.

I looked up to him, and only felt myself growing more attracted to him.  Telling me his connection to the place had made me feel something special.  It felt like this was the first thing we would be able to share together.

“Let’s go make some new memories, then.”  I smiled at him, and we walked through the entrance.

After stepping across the threshold, it felt like we had stepped into another world.  I could smell the waft of funnel cakes lingering in the air.  The music was blaring from all directions; inviting customer’s to come partake in the festivities.  The awestruck was so overwhelming, that I didn’t know where to begin.

As if reading my mind, Jason took my hand.  “This way,” he said, and led me toward the games.

He stopped at one of the booths with a BB gun target shooting range.  “When I use to come here, I would always play this one,” he said, pointing at the guns.  “I was the undefeated champion against my family.”

“Well, why don’t you give me a shot, tough guy?”  I teased.  “You aren’t going to be one of those champions who’s never willing to defend his title are you?”

He chuckled mischievously.  “If you want to dare, it’s your funeral.”

We sat down at two adjoining stations.  I looked up at the game host, waiting for the signal.

“Begin!” the host yelled.

I leveled my weapon, and began firing at the targets in front of me as the moved across the backdrop along a track.  I stole a glance at Jason, and saw his lip curled as he was concentrating on the targets downrange.  With one eye closed, and the other squinted, he looked like an adorable version of Popeye.

“And…..stop!” the game host yelled.  Without realizing it, my distraction had caused me to lose the match.

“Better luck next time, Dearie,” the game host said sympathetically.

I looked over to Jason and saw him grinning from ear to ear.  “Oh I will have better luck next time,” I said to him.  “Now I know how you win every time.”

He cocked his head.  “Oh?  And how is that?”

“You use you damn charms and looks to defeat the helpless girls like myself?” I retorted playfully.

He reached forward and cupped my cheek in one of his hands.  I leaned into his touch, still warm from grasping the BB gun.

“And am I charming you Miss Jess?” he gazed deeply at me.