Prologue

PROLOGUE

I could taste my own blood as it lingered around my lips. I bit my lips hard as the cold hard whip touched the back of my thighs. I closed my eyes.

How many times have I been hit this week? All I know is that I lost count after ten. They would hit me everyday as if it was their routine, until it became a part of mine too.

Another hit and I whimpered in pain. I held on to the chains above me as if my whole life depended on it. My vision slowly became blurry as I tried to get a grasp of what was happening.

I was in the dungeon. The cold was more than our kind can handle. The only source of light came from the hanging torches along the halls. And with those tiny spectacles of light, I could see pairs of red eyes intensely watching me from outside as I get punished.

"Are those tears I see, my daughter?"

I tried to scoff but only ended up coughing blood. That voice... that voice will surely kill me someday.

I squinted my eyes to see a man stepping out of the shadows. His face emotionless, but his eyes quite vicious. Lips were forming a thin line—letting everyone know that he was not in his most joyful state.

"No," I firmly replied.

To hell if it was the truth. I know for a fact that this man only wanted one answer. I could no longer think clearly as I try to suppress the pain inflicted to me by his most faithful servant.

I was forced to stand up as he swiftly appeared in front of me. One hand was gripping my jaw as I felt the back of his other hand softly wiping away my tears.

I closed my eyes as I realized I really was crying.

And from there onwards, I knew I was damned.

"Liar," the man whispered as he spit on my face. "These are tears, my darling. And you know what you deserve when you cry, right?"

I nodded. I could feel him moving closer as he gripped my jaw tighter.

"Open your eyes when you answer!"

I was uncontrollably shaking as I opened my eyes. His bright red eyes were scanning my face until they stopped to my scarred and bleeding lips. The corner of his lips rose as if he was satisfied with what he saw.

"Darling, I'll ask you again." He paused. "What do you deserve when you cry?"

My mouth felt like it had a mind of its own. I could no longer force it to talk. The remaining strength I had was slowly vanishing. My lips were just too scarred. I was just too tired.

"Let me make this easier for you." He clicked his tongue. "Do you deserve a reward?"

"N-No."

"Perhaps a compliment, darling?"

"N-No."

His smile was completely gone. I could feel his long nails slowly piercing through my skin.

"Then what do you deserve?"

"A punishment, Alpha," I breathlessly answered.

God. I wasn't even allowed to call him father.

He grinned like a devil.

"Good girl."

He harshly removed his grip from my jaw and went back to his post. With one hand behind his body and the other tapping the shoulder of his most valuable right hand man, he ordered. "Another hit, Giovanni, if you please."

I was still recovering when I felt his mighty whip scourging my back. I screamed in pain, not anticipating the speed of the whip hitting my body. My deteriorating voice echoing along the halls of the family dungeon.