Whose Side Are You On?

Start from the beginning

In other words, we're not suppose to do anything. Let the world parish.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place," Steve pointed out. "I feel we've done that."

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?"

I raised my eyebrow at him. "Do you?"

The Secretary locked his gaze at me. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes...you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." He slowly walked over to me. "And speaking of ground. You are to return to your home in Azarath."

To that Tony snapped his gaze at Ross. "Excuse me? What?"

Ross played another video on the screen. This one was of my father, Trigon. Him throwing cars around Jump City as fire burns around him. People kept screaming as all of Jump City is destroyed.

"That's your Pops?" Rhodey asked shockingly. Trigon's eyes lit before sending another blast through the streets. "Remind me to not get on his bad side."

I ignored Rhodey and looked at Ross. "My father's trapped in his cage. He's not getting out ever again."

"You don't know that." He motioned towards the video. "He's gotten out before. You're his daughter, you were created by him. If he followed you to Jump City, he'll more likely follow you here. You are to return to Azarath immediately."

"Hold on, Raven has the right to live here like the rest of us," Steve defended me. "If she stopped her father before she can do it again. This time she has us with her."

"And you think that's a good thing?" Ross walked to the front of the room. "Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna...to ratify the Accords." Steve turned and looked at Tony. Tony hasn't said anything about the Accords once. "Talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asked before they left.

"Then you retire."

》》》》

For the past hour and a half, we've been discussing the Accords. Tony didn't say anything. He was just laying on the couch as Rhodey and Sam bicker about why or why we shouldn't sign.

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor...which is one more than you have," Rhodey argued.

"So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam asked.

"117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, No, that's cool. We got it."

"How long are you going to play both sides?"

"I have an equation," Vision piped up.

Sam crossed his arms. "Oh, this will clear it up."Vision got comfortable in his seat. "In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man...the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And during the same period...the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asked as he held the Accords in his hands.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict.And conflict...breeds catastrophe. Oversight...Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."