I texted Isaac.

i can't talk right now im w avery i'll call you before i go to bed 

She sat next to me. "Okay then, let's see a photo of him."

I scrolled through my camera roll. "He looks kind of stupid in them though. But in a cute, funny way." I told her, laughing. I showed her a selfie of me feeding him ice cream from last night. 

Avery hit my arm. "Emily!"

"What?"

She looked excited. "He's cute! How did you guys meet? Is he a friend of Scott's?"

"I know. Scott actually introduced us. He's in his pack." I said, smiling to myself. 

She laughed and rolled her eyes. "How ironic; you're dating a werewolf."

Her tone changed. "But seriously, use protection. Don't want another little wolf running around." 

"Mentally noted."

Avery looked down at Maxine. "Let me get her ready for bed real quick and we'll catch up some more. That okay?" She asked. 

"Yeah, definitely," I said. "Motherhood looks good on you," I told her. 

She gave me a smile. 

Something about Avery didn't sit well with me. She is so open about being a wolf and raising a baby but doesn't know who Isaac is. Our parents even told me that she saw Scott and his pack when she visited Beacon Hills. I was at least hoping she would admit that she visited or say she recognized Isaac. After all, she is the one who sent me away.

Maybe our sisterhood isn't so much about patching up the past but instead ripping off the band-aid and heal it by talking it through like I did with my parents. I don't know if Avery would ever feel comfortable with that. I've never seen her vulnerable side. 

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. It was a text from Isaac. 

okay let me know how it goes. i have something kinda important to tell you

Now I really think Isaac has been keeping secrets from me.

After Maxine fell asleep, Avery put her in the crib. She returned to the spot where she was sitting. 

"I have questions," I told her. 

She shifted her posture and sighed. "Didn't mom and dad already explain everything to you?" 

"Yeah, but there's still a lot that I don't understand." 

Avery rolled her eyes. "What do you want to know?"

"Did you really leave your pack because of Maxine?"

She looked uncomfortable. "Yeah, but I'll be back with them soon- after she takes the cure." 

"You're going to bring a baby with you?"

She put her hand on her forehead. "Don't be stupid, Emily. Mom and dad are going to take care of Maxine." 

"Avery, you can't just abandon your daughter. Look at her. She's got the face of an angel. She'll never know her own mom. Does her dad even know?" 

I can't believe what my sister is telling me. Who leaves their kid to run with their pack? I'd say its inhuman, but Avery isn't exactly human, is she?

I could tell she was getting annoyed with me. "Let's talk somewhere else. I don't want to wake the baby." She told me as she led me to her bedroom next to the nursery. 

I thought about sitting next to Avery on her bed but decided to sit on the desk chair instead. 

"He knows. Luke knows. I won't let him see her though." 

"Why not? Is it because she's a werewolf?"

"Luke is a bad person. He cheated on his girlfriend with me." She said, with a blank stare at the wall. "If I knew he was in a relationship, I would've stayed away. He doesn't want to be in Maxine's life."

I wanted to empathize with Avery, I really did. 

"Look, I'm just going to say it. You have been so reckless lately, Avery. You put Beacon Hills in serious trouble. Your friend Gillyan is trying to kill people and I'm next. Your pack wants to know where you are. You have three days to go to Beacon Hills, so I'd prefer to go tomorrow." I said, crossing my arms. It felt so relieving to let all of that out. 

She scoffed at me. "I'm not going anywhere until Maxine gets that cure." 

"We don't know what will happen when she takes it. If Isaac takes it and it doesn't work, mom and dad will create another one- a better one." 

"Really? What makes you so sure this Isaac wants to be human again?" She asked with a chuckle. "You have no idea what it feels like to be a werewolf: strength, freedom to do whatever you want, never getting sick, aging slower." She got up and walked toward me. "I bet it's even crossed your mind- becoming a werewolf. Do you seriously think your boyfriend is going to give up all of that?"

I didn't have an answer to her question because deep down, I think a part of Isaac likes being a werewolf.