"And what about mates?" Amber asked.

I look over at her. "Mates?"

She looked a little crestfallen as she put her head down.

"Well... we've found out that you are a werewolf too. We don't know if you're half or even just barely, but you are one."

"No," I said, shaking my head. "There has to be a mistake." I felt restless, so I stood up and unplugged all the wires and IV's that were on me. I was still wearing the jeans I had despite there being blood stains on them, but my shirt was gone and I had a large gauze wrapped around my side. The right side hurt like mad and I knew that's where I had taken the bullet. I walked over to the large floor to ceiling window next to my bed. Dawn had just come, and the sun was peaking above the mountains, causing the clouds to look pink. It was making the land look as surreal as the moment I was in now.

"How long have I been here?" I asked.

"Four days," I heard Kristine respond.

I groaned, looking over at them. "My parents are going to kill me."

Adam shook his head, amusement flickering in his eyes. "They know, Alex. I don't know why they haven't told you yet, but they've known everything."

"Where are they?"

"They went home a few hours ago. They were here most of the night and the past days, but I called them as soon as you woke up."

I laid my head against the window. The cool glass pane was helping to alleviate a small headache I had forming. "This... this is all crazy. There is no possible way, I mean, isn't Lycanthrope genetic? Why aren't my parent's werewolves?"

"We still don't know that," Kristine said. "You, well, you're an odd case. You're not the first, but it is uncommon."

I was quiet for a long while.

"Alex?" Amber asked softly. I felt her place a hand on my shoulder, but I shrugged it off.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" I asked coldly.

"I...." she looked at her dad helplessly.

I growled, grabbed my jacket that lay over the back of the chair next to my bed and walked out of the room. I know I was being heartless, pushing away Amber like that, and part of me knew I would regret it those actions later, but this was too much. I just needed some space. No, it wasn't just that. I was pissed. Why was I the only one left in the dark? Even Jack of all people knew! My parents didn't even bother telling me that I was one of the creatures of the night. This... beast.

'Go back to mate!' I hear Xavier growl at me. For once, I was fueled by enough anger to keep him from taking over again.

'No. I'm mad at you too. You if all people could have told me!' I snarled at him.

'Because this is the way you would have reacted!'

'I'm reacting like this because I was freaking attacked by some people trying to kill Amber, only to find out that I'm some monster! Of course I'm going to act this way!'

And then he was quiet.

Good riddance.

I found my parents down in the lobby, walking in, but I shoved passed them, ignoring their comments and worries. I let out a low growl. The exchanged a look and followed. They knew I was mad. Thank god.

"Alex! Wait, please!" I hear Amber calling out for me.

I whirled around on her, still growling. "What?"

She flinched a little. "I... I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I didn't tell you earlier... I wasn't allowed to... I..."

"You what?" I snapped. "You were confused?! Were you to short-sighted to think that maybe I wanted to know what I am?! Or that maybe the girl that I thought I knew was some freaking beast?!"

She let out a small whimper, taking a step back from me.

'QUIT FUCKING YELLING AT HER!' Xavier howled with anger.

'Go to hell,' I quipped, not giving a damn.

"I'm going. I don't need this right now." I told Amber, and turned and walked the other way.

Both of my parents shot me disappointing - angry almost - looks, but said nothing. Smart.

I hopped into the backseat of my mom's Honda, and we drove off. I shoved the last glance of Amber on her knees, looking shocked and hurt, out of my mind.

Looking back I knew I was wrong... but at that moment I couldn't find the mental strength to care.

<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>

A/N: Going back through and editing and reading this, I really just wanted to take out this last part because it's so silly. Like, come on Alex, you're strong and all but no true mate could really ignore their instincts like that. But then I'd be lacking the 4-5 chapters that follow this brief bump in the road and figured it would be good for what little character development we have :)

Thanks for reading!

-Kaedrik