I nodded. "That's what has me pretty confused." I let out another groan, shifting a little. "Dammit... all I wanted was just a nice date..."

"It was nice," a voice in the doorway asked. I knew who it was instantly.

"Amber..." Kristine started, "Maybe it's best if-"

Amber cut her off by walking up to me, tears forming in her eyes. Xavier didn't like that, for once again, he took over and pulled her into our lap, holding her tightly despite the IVs and wires that were all on me. I didn't care. If he had more courage to do this than me, then so be it. I couldn't deny that it put me at ease. 

"Don't cry, love," I heard him say. "We're okay... and so are you."

I was a bit shocked by the softness of his voice.

"We were so worried..."

We?

"I know."

That's when she looked up at me. "Xavier? Can I have Alex back? Please?"

He nodded, feeling calm, and pushed me forward again. I figured she didn't know I was in control yet, so I took the advantage and kissed her. Xavier was happy again, and I didn't feel him fighting me again.

"Xavier... now..." she said into my lips, smiling.

I smirked. "Who's Xavier?" I teased.

She smiled wider, then buried her face in my neck. I did what felt right and just held her, rubbing her back softly. She just snuggled even closer to me. It felt so nice...

Someone cleared their throat, and we looked up to see a man that was at least twice my size. His presence just screamed authority and demanded respect. Normally I would have done everything to show it, but I felt nothing. I only recognized it.

"Hey... daddy..." Amber said, smiling at him.

Okay, so maybe I should show some respect.

He nodded once at her, smiling, and then looked at me. I felt some of his power pull back. "Sorry if I made you uncomfortable. It's a habit. I'm Adam, by the way." 

I smiled a little. He seemed... nice. Comforting possibly.

"Son," he began, looking more serious. "Before you ask the main question, do you know what we are?"

I shook my head.

"We are werewolves."

I blanked, figuring I misheard him. "Uh... what?"

'He's... right. We are werewolves' Xavier said.

Adam nodded. "Yes, we turn into wolves. We are a pack as well if you wanted to go into the finer details."

I looked back down at Amber. "A-Amber?"

She nodded. "Yes... that was me the other night..."

I saw uncertainty in her eyes, but I just looked back up at Adam.

"And so are you." He said simply.

I slowly let go of Amber and press the heels of my hands into my eyes. "This... isn't happening..."

"It would have been easier under different circumstances... but we've had some complications. Before I go on, what do you know about werewolves?"

"I..." I thought back to a book I read once. "You... shift... into large wolves, that doesn't always match your hair color. And...you live in a pack... yeah, that's all I've got."

Someone once told me to go read Twilight if I liked that sort of stuff, but after the movie came out I figured I couldn't read it without seeing a grown-up Shark-boy in my head so I never bothered. Instead, I found some book about a dude who went slaying supernatural entities. Werewolves included.